Court damages payout and esa

Options
Nutmegshouse
Nutmegshouse Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in Benefits and income
If i were to accept 8k from settlement in damages from disrepair claim how would this affect my ir esa. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    Hi @Nutmegshouse and welcome to the community. I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to answer your question for now, but I've marked it as unanswered so that our members can find it more easily, and perhaps advise you.

If you're unsure about anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Empowering
    Options
    @Nutmegshouse I see you posted in December last year.  Did you resolve your issue?
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
    Options
    @justpete they joined on 22/12 and only posted once on 22/12 on not visited us since, I always feel it's a shame when that happens.

2024 Election won

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Empowering
    Options
    Probably should be closed............I'll flag it
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,295 Championing
    Options
    Why should a thread be closed when someone hasn't returned? If this was the case then there would be an awful lots of threads closed. People post questions all the time and never return.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Championing
    Options
    I've kept this thread open, in case anyone stumbles across this thread and has some advice, or in case @nutmegshouse would like to return and update us on their situation :) 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 287 Empowering
    Options
    If i were to accept 8k from settlement in damages from disrepair claim how would this affect my ir esa. 
    Yes,  you will need to declare it.  Payments (other than personal injuries and benefits) are counted as the capital for means tested benefits 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.