Hi, can I have advice re transporting a large mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, can I have advice re transporting a large mobility scooter?

Options
Doradoo
Doradoo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a large all-terrain scooter that weighs 160kg.  We will be going to an outdoor event over the bank holiday in June and I'd like to take it with me.  But inside the car I'll have 4 humans and 3 dogs, plus our baggage.  So I need to work out if it's feasible to get some form of platform or rack that will connect to the back of the car that I can access via a ramp to get the scooter on and off.  Can anyone give me any advice?  There are some bike racks, that type of thing, available, but they don't take the weight I need them to.  Thanks.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,703 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Doradoo hi and welcome to scope, how are you today? The only thing I can think of would be a trailer, but that could work out quite expensive, hopefully someone will be along with other ideas.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Doradoo and welcome to the community, thanks for your query. I would recommend searching for a vehicle loading ramp which can take the weight of your chair, and fit nicely into the car. From a quick browse of google I can see some of these options are more expensive than others, so do bear that in mind.

To help our members share their thoughts, I'm just moving your post over into the Aids, Adaptions and Equipment category. 

If there's anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.