Mobility car shortages — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility car shortages

Options
Middleton
Middleton Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
Hi 

Has anyone experienced the above issue yet?  I just noticed an email from the M Scheme stating the semi conductor shortages which has had an impact on the industry. And prices going up! 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is a shortage of new cars and when supply is lower than demand prices increase, simple economics, the shortage of semi conductors is expected to last into next year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not just motability, it's every dealer, for most vehicles. Before i placed an order in January i visited 4 different dealers to test drive some cars and when i ask what the waiting time was i was told at least 6 months for the car with the spec i wanted.
    Yes price increases for advance payments have in some vehicles doubled. Motability have a grant scheme for help with things like advance payments. Although if the spec you want is high you maybe refused.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Middleton
    Options
    It's not just motability, it's every dealer, for most vehicles. Before i placed an order in January i visited 4 different dealers to test drive some cars and when i ask what the waiting time was i was told at least 6 months for the car with the spec i wanted.
    Yes price increases for advance payments have in some vehicles doubled. Motability have a grant scheme for help with things like advance payments. Although if the spec you want is high you maybe refused.
    When my 3 yr award ends...i couldnt opt to keep the old car and just run that on the new award?  I noticed on my search that Seats were not even a choice on MS any longer..
  • Middleton
    Options
    woodbine said:
    There is a shortage of new cars and when supply is lower than demand prices increase, simple economics, the shortage of semi conductors is expected to last into next year.
    Simple economics indeed. Was interested in peoples experiences.👍
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It depends on the mileage of your current car, see link. https://www.motability.co.uk/contact/faqs/can-i-extend-my-car-lease
    To place another order on a car you will need to have at least 12 month remaining on your PIP award.
    There's a lot of cars that have been removed simply because there's no availabilty.
    I note from another thread that your PIP award is due to end in December 2022. This means you will not be able to place another order on a car if your existing lease is ending. Motability will just extend your existing lease but you will need to ring them to speak to them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.