Severe disability premium backdated — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium backdated

Options
Cam678
Cam678 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi has anyone had backdated SDP
I did not realise I had to inform Pension Credit that I am now in receipt of of PIP
Hubby has Pip too
Applied for SDP in Feb 2022
We have both been awarded SDP and it has been backdated to Feb 2022
I told them in Feb 2022 that I have been in receipt of PIP since Feb 2019
Should it be backdated to Feb 2019?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would depend when you were both getting PIP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cam678
    Options
    Hubby 2016/17
    Me Feb 2019
    Pension credit 2016
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,323 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It can be backdated to Feb 2019 providing, there were no other adults living with you, unless they were also claiming a qualifying disability benefit. You would also both need to have been in receipt of either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care at that time.
    Assuming no one was claiming either carers allowance or Carers element of UC for looking after either of you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cam678
    Options
    Hi poppy, thank you for your reply.
    Yes both on pip daily living at the time.
    We have a 20 year old son who is receiving pip enhanced both as he has learning difficulties and quite a few other diagnosies.
    I receive carers allowance for caring for our Son but neither of us claim it for each other (husband and wife)
    My only problem I see is that I did not inform pension credit in 2019 that I started receiving pip daily living, I had no idea that I had to and thought they would already know from DWP.

• poppy123456
    Options
    SDP isn't automatically awarded because of the criteria involved. You can ask them to backdated it to the start of your PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cam678
    Options
    We have both been awarded SDP, it has been backdated to February 22 only. I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration and sent them a copy of my pip entitlement dated from Feb 2019, just waiting for a reply, don't know how long this will be though.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    MR decision timescales anything up to 12 weeks, sometimes longer.
  • Cam678
    Options
    Finally got the result of my mandatory reconsideration, DWP have backdated SDP to 2019 when I became eligible, received £21,460 
    This will be excluded from our savings indefinitely 
    Very pleased with outcome, also found out that my hubby could apply for carers allowance for me as an underlying entitlement, so he now receives a carers premium of £38

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.