how to help my family move out of London — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how to help my family move out of London

Options
BreeH_55
BreeH_55 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hello Everyone,
I'm joining to find out how to help my family move out of London.
Any advice?🤔
Thanks👍

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello @BreeH_55 and welcome to the community, thanks for joining today :)

Can you tell me if your family have any access needs, or any reason they would be a priority to be rehoused? You can look into support from their local council if this is the case. 

Is there somewhere you are hoping to move them to?

I've just moved this post over into our Housing category, so our members can share their thoughts with you more easily. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @BreeH_55, it’s lovely to have you on the community 😊.

Moving house can be an exciting experience. You may like to have a look at these resources:

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/housing-home-adaptations/renting-buying-moving-home/

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice

Take care 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• BreeH_55
    Options
    Can anyone assist me on finding out how to move out of London, council doesn't seem to help. We have been bidding since 2019, without one viewing.

• BreeH_55
    Options
    Thank you for your message, unfortunately the links we not applicable for us.
  • BreeH_55
    Options
    Any other help would be appreciated 👍
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi @BreeH_55 :) Would you feel comfortable telling us a little more about your situation, and any barriers you've been facing when looking into moving your family out of London? This would help us to give you some more tailored advice on what your next steps could be, or where to look for information relevant to your situation.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • BreeH_55
    Options
    Yes, of course.
    My grandson has complex emotional needs. Hence the move to outside London, as he needs open spaces to help him through his crisis when they occur. 
    As its pretty obvious to us and professionals involved in his care. Be it us at home or at school, or Shortbreaks.
    Due to his needs my daughter has been granted a 3bed accommodation, but since 2019 we haven't had one viewing, on the council's bidding platform.
    My daughter lives in an housing association property (2bed, 2nd floor flat).
    As I'm their only family support I want to move with them (my own separate property required).
    My daughter has 3 children in total. She is a single parent.
    Renting privately is an option but we don't know how that would work regarding issues, eg, breakages, damage, affording the rent, etc.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am so disheartened with the whole situation.☹️

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks very much for explaining @BreeH_55 that's very helpful, I can certainly understand why you're feeling the way you do.

You mention there are professionals involved in your grandson's care, can I ask, is that CAMHS, and does your grandson have an Occupational Therapist (OT)?

An OT may be able to help you advocate for more suitable housing with the local council, although I must say I'm not 100% sure if this relates to physical disabilities only.  

You might also what to look into seeking independent advice, the best place to start is AdviceLocal.

I'll see if I can find out anymore information for you, but in the meantime I hope the above is helpful.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• BreeH_55
    Options
    Thank you, I would appreciate it. Yes, camhs are involved but not regarding housing. We have no OT. 
  • BreeH_55
    Options
    I didn't think anyone had seen it🤔
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @BreeH_55 I'm glad your grandson is being supported by CAMHS. Perhaps you could enquire with his GP about whether it would be possible to have an OT?

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find anything else to help at the moment, so I would certainly encourage you to have a search on AdviceLocal if you haven't already, and keep us updated with how you get on. 
    Scope

• BreeH_55
    Options
    Ok, thanks for your help.
    I will keep you up to date, as soon as I have any news.👍

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.