New Style ESA - Backlogs Assessment Times — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA - Backlogs Assessment Times

Options
userinfo1
userinfo1 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
My ESA50 form is about to be sent back to the Assessment Centre. This on top of applying for PIP has made me so unwell and stresses me out daily. I am hoping the PIP assessment report comes in the mean time so I can include this with the ESA50 form along with all my medical evidence.

Could someone advise after this form is sent how long do they take to actually assess you? I am reading online that people are still reporting a backlog with them or are they actually performing these assessments with in the 13 weeks they say. I understand the pandemic has a knock on effect with them but I would like to know approx. time scales now once this is sent

If I successfully get PIP at the enhanced rates is there some rule they are supposed to inform the ESA people about that I am unwell? I read something about the old ESA Income Based rules that if a premium is awarded the ESA team are notified. 

The PIP pantomime has been bad enough without the ESA pantomime on top. I will be just glad once I get answers and to start my battles with them.

Comments

• userinfo1
    Options
    I assume it depends on area but on the whole are they seeing people within this 13 weeks?
    Sooner its done the better
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,316 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    There are backlogs in a lot of areas so you could be waiting several months, sometimes longer for a work capability assessment. Based on other members then you could be waiting quite some time.
    Any PIP award will have no bearing on the work capability assessment. Claiming this doesn't automatically entitled you to be placed into either of the groups.
    The disability premiums apply to Income Related ESA or the old Contributions based. As your claim will be New style ESA there's no disability premiums payable with this because it's a contributions based benefit only.
    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. As it's a means tested benefit entitlement will depend on circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you claim this as well as your ESA then the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=bda02e2e-21e1-482a-a6d5-c4946e8c8f8a

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • userinfo1
    Options
    Many thanks Poppy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.