Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

DLA to PIP at 16

Options
enjoythesilence71
enjoythesilence71 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My child is 16 next week. I applied to be an appointee and it was granted. Not had an application form for PIP yet. I am so anxious. I gave up work to care for him, he's been on high rate care. The PIP form seems biased to physical disability, not neurodisability 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,951 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lots of people claim PIP successfully because of mental health reasons. The descriptors aren’t just aimed at physical conditions.
    For example, dressing/undressing. Does your child need prompting to be dress each day? Maybe they need you to advise them what clothing to wear for what the weather is outside? Maybe they need prompting when to change their clothes? 
    Washing/bathing. Do they need prompting when to wash? Maybe they need assistance when running a bath or shower because they don’t understand the temperature of the water? 
    When filling out the form you should add a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time they attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Include detailed information such as where they were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 
    It does help to have some understanding of the PIP descriptors too. Start here https://pipinfo.net/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When do you get the form? I thought when they turn 16 DLA ends
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,951 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

No, not automatically. Once the PIP application has been started providing the forms are returned on time then DLA continues until a decision's made on the PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

No, not automatically. Once the PIP application has been started providing the forms are returned on time then DLA continues until a decision's made on the PIP.
    Thank you for explaining @poppy123456 <3 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.