Is it okay for a mother who's not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby's nappy? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it okay for a mother who's not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby's nappy?

Options
Dionne_2022
Dionne_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 9 Listener
Disable toilets, Hi I’m Dee Is it acceptable for a mother who is not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby’s nappy and prevent a disabled person using it?
I stopped off on the motorway and needed an accessible toilet and this woman was ahead of me and just wanted to change her baby. I asked if I could go before her . She point blank refused. Is this acceptable?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,480 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dionne_2022 welcome.  I can understand  your frustration.  She may have had  a hidden disability herself, as do I, yet I don't look like I should be using a disabled loo, yet I need to. Also there is no law that says non disabled person can't use a disabled loo.
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    No just a disabled toilet, the baby changing toilet had a longer queue 
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    She actually said I’m not disabled I just need to change my baby, that is why I asked if I could go ahead of her. I know not all disabilities are visible, very frustrating 
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    I have a Radar key, now, things should be easier going forward.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,480 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The keys are good when your out and about
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radar keys are assets!  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.