Question. Should I be using my electric wheelchair while the backrest is in this state?

Globster
Globster Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,620 Championing
Hello Scope online community 
I had to call the company responsible for the repairs, to my NHS electric wheelchair because I kept charging the chair but when I came into showing a full charged chair I got the batteries replaced. I received news that took that one bracket that holds the backrest needs replacing with a new but I have to wait a week, I just wanted to ask anyone on the scope online community to give some advice should be using my electric wheelchair while the backrest in this state. I'm just a bit scared to learn back on the backrest is anything to worry about it.

I look forward  to receiving some advice from someone on the scope of the online community 
Warm Regards
Globster

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,445 Championing
    Hmm, I'm not sure @Globster! I can see why you'd be feeling a bit worried about it. Did the company who told you it needed replacing mention whether it'd be safe for you to use in the meantime? Is that something you could ask them?
  • Globster
    Globster Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,620 Championing
    @Tori_Scope
    The company did say it would safe but he say to be careful as I have still to wait one week for the new bracket for the backrest, but I was just unable to stop worrying about still using an electric wheelchair while waiting for the new part
  • Aardvark
    Aardvark Community member Posts: 30 Contributor
    Hello Globster.  

I hope you have had the back replaced now but just in case and for future ... with the way things go most companies will 'err on the side of caution' so would be more likely to say stop using now rather than its ok to use but keep an eye out.  Less chance of anyone getting hurt, sacked or sued.  

So if wheelchair services say its ok to use i would be happy to use.. if they say no stop they can usually loan you something whilst repairs happen
  • Globster
    @Aardvark
    I appreciate advice but I am get the bracket replaced this coming Wednesday
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Not too much longer to wait @Globster, how are you finding things at the moment? :)
  • Globster
    @Alex_Scope
    It is quite difficult because so used to reclining my seat on my wheelchair but I am not sure safe to do it at the moment I only got to wait till Wednesday so not too long to wait.
     @Johnmduk1 I will definitely appreciate your advice on kind in mind if something happens again 
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 744 Pioneering
    Is the wheelchair service approved repairer a company called Millbrooks, by any chance? @Globster
  • Globster
    Siwheels73
    I think Rosscare you looked after my repair company who after wheelchair but I have found that  Millbrooks are partnership with Rosscare 
  • Globster
    edited July 2022
    Just a quick update scope online got 
    both backrests for the backrests on the powerchair were replaced this afternoon I am so happy that recline my wheelchair without having to worry.  thank you to everyone for advice on this matter  :)

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 681 Empowering
    So glad, you can be comfortable again.
  • Globster
    @easy
    Thank you kind comments  :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    I'm glad to hear things are all sorted for you @Globster and you can use your chair without worrying now :)