When do I receive my first LCWRA payment? When do they backdate it to? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When do I receive my first LCWRA payment? When do they backdate it to?

Options
caz1888
caz1888 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi can anyone help me out with this.
I have been on this sick since August last year due to bad health I only got my assessment for lcwra on May 3rd. When do I receive my 1st payment and do they back date it to how long you have been waiting for your assessment.
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    More information is needed before i can advise further. Has the decision been made on your work capability assessment yet, if so was the decision definitely Limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) and not just limited capability for work (LCW)?
    If it was LCWRA what date exactly did you first report your health condition? Did you continue to send in fit notes without any gaps until the decision was made?
    and what date do you usually receive your money each month?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @caz1888 I am sorry that you have waited so long for an assessment.  Unfortunately you will have a further wait until you find out the DWP's decision.  If you are successful in being awarded the LCWRA element in this  should be included in your UC from the beginning of the first full Assessment Period following the end of a  3 month waiting period which runs from the date you supplied your first fit note. So, if your fit note is supplied during an Assessment period, which will normally be the case, that Assessment period will not be counted, and the next 3 Assessment periods will be taken into account. The LCWRA element will then be added to your UC for the 4th Assessment Period. 

As poppy says to enable a complete answer please let us know the information she has requested 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • caz1888
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply
    yes I have been awarded the ''LCWRA'' I also have been receiving my sick notes every 4 weeks since August. I haven't received any letters just an update on my uc journal to say I am getting the LCWRA. I just don't understand how this works I do feel stupid as I need to ask but not got a clue.
    Thank you
  • caz1888
    Options
    Sorry I get my uc on the 10th and 24th each month.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It will be from either December or January depending on the exact date you reported your health condition or sent your first fit note in August. Providing you're not claiming UC with a partner that already receives the LCWRA element on your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • caz1888
    Options
    Thank you and no I don't have a partner just myself and two kids on my uc. 
    I did think would have been this month as read other comments that said three month but I've obviously read them wrong. 
    Do they take any money of your uc when you start getting paid LCWRA  
    Thank you
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    No payment is taken, you will see an increase of £354.28 per month. As you have kids you and your partner will already have a work allowance so no change there.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Money owed is usually paid separately to your usual monthly money. First they need to recalculate your past statements to work out exactly how much is owed. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much is owed and it will be paid into your bank.
    If the decision was made just before the end of your assessment period then this maybe why it hasn't yet been added. You said you had the assessment in May but didn't say when the decision was made.

• caz1888
    Options
    Thank you I think I understand. And no I am single so no partner and yes my assessment was 3rd of May that was a long wait since August but obviously due to every thing else including cover that's why I had to wait longer. I got a note on my journal a few days after my assessment that was very quick I though but not heard nothing since.
    Thank you
  • caz1888
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then you should have started to receive the extra money by now. Put a message onto your journal under the payment section and ask about the LCWRA element. Tell them that's the waiting period starts from when you sent your first fit note, then tell them the date you first sent it.
    Providing there were no gaps at all in those fit notes then it should be paid from Dec or Jan. They very often get this wrong, which is disgusting to think that they don't even know their own rules.
  • markm89
    markm89 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi there I put my first sick note in on the 21st of October. And then another two months Sick note taking it to 21st of January. I had my assment in the 11th if January and I will be getting the 354 a month.. but on the 11 of this month will be 4 weeks or more. So will I get the extra money on the 11th with my payment. I get paid on the 11th and then again on the 28th so twice a month.. thank you 
  • markm89
    Options
    I done a sick note from the 21st of October. And from November I put 2 sick nots in taking to the 21st of January.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    markm89 said:
    Hi there I put my first sick note in on the 21st of October. And then another two months Sick note taking it to 21st of January. I had my assment in the 11th if January and I will be getting the 354 a month.. but on the 11 of this month will be 4 weeks or more. So will I get the extra money on the 11th with my payment. I get paid on the 11th and then again on the 28th so twice a month.. thank you 

There's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition. The LCWRA element is not paid at all during the waiting period.

Your waiting period will be Oct/Nov, Nov/Dec, Dec/Jan... LCWRA starts from assessment period Jan 22nd to Feb 21st and first payment will be 28th Feb.
  • markm89
    Options
    Dear Mark,

as it is not included in this award it is not due to you yet.

the 24/10/2022 falls into assessment period 22 October to 21 November 2022 we count 3 from that, meaning 22 December to 21 January 2023 is the 2nd full assessment period since the date it applies.

As explained the system adds it automatically when it is due so you will see it on your statement when it is payable
  • markm89
    Options
    Can you explain this to be it's frustrating 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Why are they referring to 24th October? You said you sent your first fit note on 21st October, is that correct? If so then my advice is correct, your first payment will be 28th Feb and we haven’t reached that date yet. 
    No LCWRA element is owed.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether or not the health condition was reported on 21st or 24th October is crucial. It makes a difference to which assessment period in falls in.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Whether or not the health condition was reported on 21st or 24th October is crucial. It makes a difference to which assessment period in falls in.
    Indeed. If the fit note wasn’t reported until 24th Oct it means first payment won’t be until 28th March. 
    I can only advise based on the information I’m given. 
  • markm89
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.