If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

‘Staggering increase’ to disability energy helpline, Scope tells Channel 4 News - watch now!

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
Alison Kerry, who works for Scope, has spoken to Channel 4 News about how the energy bills crisis is affecting disabled people.
For a lot of people it’s simply not possible to turn the power off. There are disabled people being robbed of their independence because they can’t afford to power an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter. The government needs to act right now. They need to prioritise support for disabled people right now.
Watch the report now:

https://youtu.be/hyVt6nxU62I

Over to you...

How are you being affected by the rising cost of energy bills? 

What do you think the government should be doing about it?

How do you feel about Cornwall Insights' prediction that energy bills could exceed £4,000 from January?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What do you think the government should be doing about it?

They could:
    • Be honest with the public about it
    • Be honest about the causes
    • Put a proper and actual cap on prices
    • Explain why these companies are still recording record profits but allowed to increase prices exponentially and call it a 'cost of living crisis' so people feel it's unavoidable when it isn't
    • Actually help people rather than throwing a few hundred quid at them to keep people happy and distracted and feel like they're being helped when actually the Gov are doing diddly squat :D 
    I won't go on
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you @Tori_Scope for this post!!  :)  :)   

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Feel free to go on @Biblioklept... you've made some good points there!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.