Apparently New STyle ESA doesn't qualify for COL Payment

Options
CarolMCW
CarolMCW Community member Posts: 15 Listener
The old ESA was means tested so those on it will get the COL Payment.  New Styke ESA is the only one you can claim and as it is NOT means tested then it doesn't qualify for the COL Payment.  I think this is wrong.  I don't have savings or anyone living with me that is well off enough to pay the extortionate energy bills.  I had to give up my self empolyment because (I believe) that not having the heating on and suffering severe cold, I now have Rheumatoid Arthritis and on ESA.  I never made much money, enough to keep my head above water.  I can't let myself get cold again.  Is there anything going on behind the scenes to get the government to see how wrong this is

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Championing
    Options
    Unfortunately many are in the same boat as you. Have you checked your eligibility for Universal Credit? Claiming that could possibly entitle you to the second payment and offer you access to things such as free prescriptions, dental and eye tests.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,283 Championing
    Options
    New Style ESA is the same as the old contributions based and they are not means tested. The only difference being was the old contributions based could have an Income Related top up.
    The reason why contributions based benefits are not included is because they are not means tested and a person could claim then regardless of their circumstances such as savings/capital of more than £16,000 and a pension of up to £85/week.
    As bg844 has advised, check entitlement to UC by using a benefits calculator. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=c609f288-679a-4de3-b6e2-b274d6761a5f
    Your ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    Options
    CarolMCW said:
    The old ESA was means tested so those on it will get the COL Payment.  New Styke ESA is the only one you can claim and as it is NOT means tested then it doesn't qualify for the COL Payment.  I think this is wrong. 
    As advised by others, people who only got contribution based ESA before also don't get CoL. CoL is only payable to people on income based benefits. Someone ho gets new style ESA may also get UC and the UC would qualify them for CoL.

Use the calculator to check whether or not you can claim UC and Council Tax Reduction.