Hi, my name is basingwerk! Is motability worth it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is basingwerk! Is motability worth it?

Options
basingwerk
basingwerk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
is motability worth it?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some say it is, while others say it's not. It really depends on exactly what vehicle you want and the spec. I've been a motability customer since 2016 and for me, it's worth every penny.
    The only downside now is that the advance payments on a lot of cars have increased massively. The other downside (but this applies to all new vehicles, not just motability) is the waiting time to collect your car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi, I’m just about to get my first motability car and as a learner driver, who needs adaptations, it’s worth it for me. My car didn’t have an advanced payment, so I only have to pay for the adaptations, upon collection, and because of the rising costs, they are offering £250 when you collect the car, as a “new vehicle payment”, which all customers get, and those who have been with motability since December 21, when they get their next car. If this wasn’t available, I don’t think I would of had the means to have a car, due to the cost of owning the car, insurance, etc. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Poppy_ said:
    Hi, I’m just about to get my first motability car and as a learner driver, who needs adaptations, it’s worth it for me. My car didn’t have an advanced payment, so I only have to pay for the adaptations, upon collection, and because of the rising costs, they are offering £250 when you collect the car, as a “new vehicle payment”, which all customers get, and those who have been with motability since December 21, when they get their next car. If this wasn’t available, I don’t think I would of had the means to have a car, due to the cost of owning the car, insurance, etc. 

Are you aware that motability also do grants for driving lessons of up to 40 hours? You must be in receipt of a qualifying means tested benefit to be entitled to the grant though.
    You need to pay for your theory test and practical driving test but this grant is worth it's weight in gold, if you're eligible. See link. https://www.motability.org.uk/charitable-grants/access-to-mobility-grant-programmes/driving-lessons/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456 I did know about the grant, however as I only claim PIP, I wasn’t eligible. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.