Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Disability benefits getting stop next year?

Options
zane
zane Community member Posts: 159 Courageous
hi I have a learning disability and mental health I heard government stop benefits next year is this true because I’m getting worried person on ESA and PIP 😢😔

Comments

• life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    No it's not true.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Where ever it was you read that, I’d advise you to ignore it because it’s nonsense. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't heard that @zane. It doesn't appear to be true, fortunately! Would you mind sharing where you heard that?  I can imagine it was quite worrying to hear.

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• zane
    Options
    I haven't heard that @zane. It doesn't appear to be true, fortunately! Would you mind sharing where you heard that?  I can imagine it was quite worrying to hear.
    It was on sky news from prime minster on app  said cutting benefits next year to save money and scrapping a benefit . Google it look on news . They should tax the rich than cutting benefits 😔
  • poppy123456
    Options
    zane said:
    It was on sky news from prime minster on app  said cutting benefits next year to save money and scrapping a benefit . Google it look on news . They should tax the rich than cutting benefits 😔

Do you have a link for that? I can't find anything related to that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    There is a suggestion in the media that benefits may be increased in line with earnings rather than CPI. This is based on the new Chancellor refusing to confirm that they would be increased in line with September’s CPI as previously confirmed by Rishi Sunak (and as is usually conventional).

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that benefits could be stopped.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • zane
    Options
    Do why said cut benfits the media oh well I try understand I get someone help understand this  thanks 
  • calcotti
    Options
    zane said:
    Do why said cut benfits the media oh well I try understand I get someone help understand this  thanks 
    If benefits are increased by less than inflation that will be a cut in the purchasing power of the benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    zane said:
    It's general knowledge. As from next year there is to be (a) a reduction in cost of running government departments and (b) a look at how or what benefits can be cut back. As for the latter and some people expecting/demanding that benefits should all increase by at least 10% are living in a dream world. I would imagine that the Welfare Budget be cut by 10% not increased.
    For every £ if they do increase my SRP (old scheme) 20p will be taken back as tax.
  • zane
    Options
    zane said:

I try link I don’t know how to since on my phone  google dwp benefits cuts and look on news be there 
  • Tori_Scope
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Is it this Sky News article you were referring to @zane

You should be able to copy and paste a link onto the community from your phone. Do you know how to copy and paste on your phone? :)

• calcotti
    Options
    zane said:
    zane said:

I try link I don’t know how to since on my phone  google dwp benefits cuts and look on news be there 
    And I can't see anything suggesting that disability benefits would stop.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,099 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    zane said:
    It's general knowledge. As from next year there is to be (a) a reduction in cost of running government departments and (b) a look at how or what benefits can be cut back. As for the latter and some people expecting/demanding that benefits should all increase by at least 10% are living in a dream world. I would imagine that the Welfare Budget be cut by 10% not increased.
    For every £ if they do increase my SRP (old scheme) 20p will be taken back as tax.
    As I said yesterday you will only be paying tax if your income is above £253 a week.

A promise was made that from April next year the SRP triple lock would apply.

While I'm here it's scarmongering to suggest that the welfare budget will be cut by 10% it's not happening.
    However it's true to say that it looks likely there will be a real terms cut to benefits i.e they will increase below the rate of inflation a favourite trick of this govt.

2024 Election won

• poppy123456
    Options
    Is it this Sky News article you were referring to @zane

I can’t see how it can be that one because it doesn’t say anything about benefits stopping. 
    I agree with Calcotti, I can’t find anything to suggest this is correct. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said: As I said yesterday you will only be paying tax if your income is above £253 a week.
    £241 according to my calculation (£12570 / 52) - not this materially changes the point you are making.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I was just wondering whether the headline had possibly been misleading @poppy123456 :)

• racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:
    racyguy said:
    zane said:
    As I said yesterday you will only be paying tax if your income is above £253 a week.

A promise was made that from April next year the SRP triple lock would apply.

While I'm here it's scarmongering to suggest that the welfare budget will be cut by 10% it's not happening.
    However it's true to say that it looks likely there will be a real terms cut to benefits i.e they will increase below the rate of inflation a favourite trick of this govt.
    I can only repeat what I am told is happening in government circles. There are many MP's that do want to see actual cuts to the Welfare budget, whilst others would be happier to see benefits rise by mid-single figures.
    The real and only answer is that for fit and healthy people claiming UC they should have to show that they work full time (min 35 hours a week) not this ridiculous 16 hours just to get around the system. 
    As for my tax position I receive the old SRP, but this is topped up by a second pension & NIGPC to just shy of £250 a week. Obviously, I receive that level of 2nd pension as it is based entirely on my extremely high levels of NI contributions whilst working - you only get out what you pay in.
    The rest is made up with 5 annuities/private pensions. Oh and I should also point out that I have always worked hard despite considerable and difficult disabilities - it's because of those that drove me to working hard to prove to myself that I am as able as anyone - disabled or otherwise. 

• racyguy
    Options
    @racyguy While discussions are taking place within Government no decisions on Benefits has yet been taken. To suggest otherwise is scaremongering. People are worried enough as it is. While you were able to work not everyone is and it is wrong to judge. I also worked hard all my life that does not give me the right to judge anyone who is not able to. Until you walk in someone else's shoes you cannot know what their life is like.
    I'm not judging anyone. But one thing I mentioned is that where someone can work a full week they should do so. I do get rather annoyed when told that some claimants are refusing to work anything more than the minimum required so as to maximise their benefit entitlement,
    I can only but repeat what I am being told by a Tory MP.
    But as you say nothing has yet been decided.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They can decide whatever they’re still going to lose the next election or at least that’s what I’m told by a little bird!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    leeCal said:
    They can decide whatever they’re still going to lose the next election or at least that’s what I’m told by a little bird!

True.  However, the elephant in the room is their intent, between now and then, on making as much money as they can for themselves and friends from the public purse.  And, thinking beyond that, what sort of financial landscape will Labour (presuming they and not LDs take over) inherit?  Devastation is my guess so there will be no quick fixes once the Tories are gone.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.