Arthritis survey — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Arthritis survey

nf1150
nf1150 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited October 2018 in Research and opportunities
Is anyone else having a problem opening jars, this is for people that have arthritis?

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    In short YES!
    Thats your life from now on. Everything will be a uphill struggel. 
    There are items that help you open jars etc but youl struggel with everything.
    Also you will be colder than youv ever been.
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya Misscleo, I completely agree with you! Life changes greatly with arthritis. With regards to feeling colder, I totally agree how cold you get but the funny thing is I have the flushes too, my body is completely up the creek haha can’t win. ???
  • Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    My mum used to suffer really badly with osteoarthritis in both knees each knee was about 20 times the size it should be and she really struggled with the cold she would sit in bed with a blanket over her almost 24 hours a day and one day after I had been for more tests in an MRI scanner and I saw the surgeon about my two slipped discs in the bottom of my back and he said that I had arthritis in there as well I could have cried because I understood the pain my mum went through all of her life and I agree with the other posts that the cold is one of the worst things because you want to be out of pain but you don't want to have to keep putting more and more layers on because sometimes you feel like you are suffocating at the same time what the pain of the cold is a lot worse than the feeling of suffocation sometimes I will stay in the shower a lot longer then I would normally when it's winter because as soon as I come out of the shower before I have managed to get into the bedroom to start getting myself dry I can feel the cold and it's a lot worse each year seems to get more unbearable take care and wrap up warm xx
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya Angiebabes2410, 
    Its lovely to hear from you. Yes it’s miserable at times especially now with the cold snap and winter not far away. Still it could be worse, I’d recorded a programme about a gentleman called Simon Reeves and he was travelling around the Mediterranean. My goodness, it was unbelievable how some people have to live. Poverty, so sad they had absolutely nothing. 
    Im not saying anymore because I’ll get to upset again. Anyway you wrap up warm too take care. ???
  • nf1150
    Anyone else have problems with opening jars?
  • nf1150
    It would really help if you guys could fill out this questionnaire with your views?!
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/N8ZXDXZ
  • Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    nf1150 said:
    Anyone else have problems with opening jars?
    Even my nescafe coffee jars are difficult to open every time I want a coffee, I've tried not to put the lid on so tightly next time but is seems to cross thread or tighten on its own, I sometimes use a tea towel or a rubber band thing that looks like cogs but it's a lit of hard work, before I moved I had a plastic and metal thing that was multisized to do big and small jars but it must have been left behind with a lot of my other useful gadgets I needed xx
  • victoriafinney
    victoriafinney Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Jars are impossible. None of the gadgets i have found work for me. They require too much grip strength or for me to lever something and I lack the strength to use them. I rely on my wonderful partner to ipen jars. If i didn't have him I simply wouldn't buy any! Oh and feeling cold...Totally. Even though I basically run a low grade fever all the time and am unusually warm to touch or hug I FEEL totally bloody frozen!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.