Disability First Project Blackpool
My name is Holly Whittaker and I work on the Access Fylde Coast Project here in sunny Blackpool!
Access Fylde Coast is an exciting and unique, new project that will not only play an important part in changing the preconceptions of disability but will enhance Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre as an outstanding location for people with disabilities – both visitors and locals.
While helping to boost tourism and support the local economy, it will also help break down barriers and address the negative experiences faced by people with all disabilities – from physical, sensory, mental health and learning difficulties.
A major part of the project will see Access Fylde Coast introduce a new, exciting series of events aimed specifically at people with disabilities and showcasing high-profile disabled performers.
And, it will help shape current local big events to be more disability-friendly.
The project will also focus on helping local businesses - from hotels to attractions - enhancing their own offer to people with disabilities thanks to a dedicated team of access champions, who will give tips, advice and guidance to businesses across the Fylde Coast.
In addition, linking in with the popular and widely used Blackpool Transport App, a new digital app platform is being created to enable disabled people to easily find accessible attractions and retailers across Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre.
The pioneering project is all thanks to a £985,922 injection from the Coastal Communities Fund. It’s part of an initiative that by 2020 the Government will have invested £250 million in our much-loved seaside areas through dedicated programmes to help in generating jobs and boosting business.
And, Access Fylde Coast aims to make Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre a positive place for all.
I would be keen to hear from people in this group if they visit Blackpool, and why? If you have visited Blackpool in the past what was your feedback on the town as someone with disabilities? Did you attend any events? How was that?
Please feel free to email me directly on [email protected]
- 49.2K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 135 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 658 Work and employment
- 526 Education
- 966 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 925 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 249 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.4K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 586 Chronic pain and pain management
- 648 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 702 Autism and neurodiversity
- 841 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments