Hi, my name is Maddie_56! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Maddie_56!

Maddie_56
Maddie_56 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I hope you are all doing well. I have copd, clinical depression, problems walking so need a wheelchair when I go out, which is very rare. I live near Brackley but can't get there as I can't drive anymore due to anxiety and panic attacks. I live on a caravan site, not very nice but hey ho, beggars can't be choosers. My life is very lonely, in fact it's not a life but an  existence. Does anyone understand because I feel as though I'm the only person who feels like this. Thank you for reading. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maddie_56 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you feel this way. I originally joined the community as I felt isolated, I think the majority of the community joined, for a few reasons, one being they felt isolated.

It helps that the community is a very active place so there will always be someone here to talk to - unlikely overnight as we some sleep! :)

Let us know if we can help in any way!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Maddie_56
    Amy2301, thank you for replying. I do feel so isolated after leading a busy life. I don't really know how this site works. Do people meet up? Is it just online posts? I hope you can explain these things to me  Thank you 
  • Ami2301
    It is just online posting, due to protecting our own privacy we cannot share personal details, such as where we live therefore unable to meet up. But we can help you to look for what is available in your local area, such as Norwich, London, etc :) Hope this helps!
  • Maddie_56
    Aah I see. Thank you 
  • Ami2301
    Let us know if you have any further questions :)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maddie_56 and welcome

I do understand, I also have COPD and home oxygen as well as other things so getting out can be difficult. We live in a rural location also in a mobile home although on our own land. I used to have severe panic attacks especially when I could not breath, but now I take Lorazepam which helps
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Maddie_56
    Thank you for your reply. Are you on your own or do you have people around. I seem to struggle more each day. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Maddie_56
    This place is about online support and we are a friendly and safe space. We don't have meet ups but if you are looking for something like that, you could try asking at your GP, library or community centre to see what groups their are local to you.

You might like to look through the community guide which will explain a little more about our community but if you have any questions then don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Maddie

I am fortunate, I do have a wife but she is not well at all. She has had chronic osteo and rhematoid arthritis since she was a child. So far she has had 2 hip replacements and waiting on a third. Her left elbow was replaced 3 times before they removed it completely.. Now it is prone to infection and requires dressing every day. Her right elbow is also in a bad way but there is nothing that can be done. So the majority of time I am on my own. I used to lead a very busy life and had many physical jobs and hobbies but I am really limited in what I can do now.
    But heyho life goes on and we must make the best of what we have. Do you have any hobbies, interests or passtimes ? Taking up something that interests you is a good starting place
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness