Hi, my name is alliy_j! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is alliy_j!

alliy_j
alliy_j Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I have fibro, jhms, crohns, pernicious anemia, degenerating discs and my l5 s1 is pressing on my spinal cord. I had to give up work 3 years ago when my symptoms became so bad my absence from work escalated and they told me they were looking for dismissal on health grounds because I won't  get better.

I love to crochet and create and
I love my family. I have 2 children and live very close to my extended family.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alliy_j welcome to the community! How are you feeling this morning? Please let us know if you have any questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • alliy_j
    Tired and hurting, managed 2 hrs sleep straight through so bonus lol.
    Thank you  Ami
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    My sleep has been on a rollercoaster lately, I will most likely have a nap at some point!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alliy_j

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today ???

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with?????

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alliy_j and a warm welcome to the community! I like to crochet too, what do you like to make?
    Scope

• mel_4ears
    mel_4ears Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi @alliy_j 1 Welcome to the Scope Community! I have fibro too *hugs* 
    Fibromyalgia, hearing aids, depression, anxiety, OCD 
  • alliy_j
    I like crocheting lap blankets, baby clothes, amigurami toys and shawls.
    I get bad muscle spasms with my fibro so often it's slow going but I love it.
    I've had to crochet with my 2 middle fingers for 2 months as I cut my thumb off whilst cut some plastic due to an arm spasm. They saved it and I've had the cast off now but it's still not bending. Grrrr

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @alliy_j and welcome to the community! :smile:
    I'm sure our members would love to see some of your crochet projects (especially the amigurumi!) if you'd be willing to share. We have a thread in our Coffee Lounge, called 'KaleidoScope' where folks share their art work, craft and photography.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mel_4ears
    mel_4ears Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    @alliy_j Oh no!! I really hope you're ok!!

I'd love to see some of your crochet! It's something I'd love to learn to do one day. 
    Fibromyalgia, hearing aids, depression, anxiety, OCD 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mel_4ears,
    Welcome to the Community.  It is lovely to meet you.  Your crochet work sounds fantastic!  I have always fancied learning it, but haven't managed to so far.  I do knit a bit though and really enjoy it.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Hi @alliy_j,
    Welcome to the Community also.  Apologies for confusing you with @mel_4ears!  It is lovely to meet you and your crochet work does sound fantastic!  :smile:
  • alliy_j
    @mel_4ears I am getting some use back in it now but having to do my own physio as the waiting list is huge here.
    @Ails don't worry I'm sure I've been mistaken a lot lol 
     These are the last 2 things I made although my tension was totally wrong having to crochet without my thumb lol
  • Ails
    Hi @alliy_j,
    Your crochet work is absolutely beautiful.  The child's wee suit is so cute!  You certainly have a flair for crochet.  It must be very difficult doing crochet without a thumb, but you must manage well.  Do you get many requests from people asking you to do crochet items for them? 
  • alliy_j
    @Ails not many to be honest but I don't really see anyone apart from family. I'm in rural mid Wales halfway up a mountain and often can't get out so overtime my circle of friends has become 0
  • Ails
    Hi @alliy_j,
    Sorry to hear that you can't get out and don't have many friends.  Glad that you get to see your family though.  You may find that on the Community you can make some new friends as everyone on here is really friendly.  Where you live sounds lovely and peaceful.  I have been to North Wales a few times in the past as I have relatives there.  What are you crocheting at the moment?
  • alliy_j
    I've been designing a baby blanket as my sister in law is expecting her 1st in December so exciting
  • Ails
    Oh wow!  That is lovely!  I love the colour!  That is really exciting!  I bet you can't wait!  Does your sister-in-law know what she is having?  I'm sure she will love the baby blanket.  x
  • alliy_j
    She isn't going to find out so I thought gender neutral colours best.
    I made one for my other sister in laws children so wanted to continue for all of them.
  • Ails
    Oh that is lovely that the baby's sex is going to be a surprise.  Yes, a lovely colour!  That is great that you have made baby blankets for all of your sister-in-law's children.  Very kind and such beautiful work.  Please let us know what your sister-in-law has when the baby arrives.  All the very best.  @Ails:smiley:
  • alliy_j
    Thank you so much for your kind words  they made my day x

Brightness