Hi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi

Options
Sarge1969
Sarge1969 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi. I’m new to the site, looking for support on behalf of my 16 year old son who has additional needs. 
Hope everyone is well 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sarge1969 and welcome to the community! Is there any specific advice you are looking for? Educational, financial, etc? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sarge1969
    Options
    Ed psych said when in primary school he was borderline dyslexic? Surely you are or your not. Secondary school support was rubbish. Got a private maths teacher who asked after first session did he have dyscalculia? 
    He’s now at college and they’ve been great but I’m worried he’s still going to struggle. Dr is referring him to learning support team but the wait is a while. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Sarge1969
                              Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us. I am sorry to hear that your son has only started to receive the support he needs and I understand why your worry continues. I hope the wait for the learning support referral is not too long, have you been given any idea of the time frame? Please feel free to ask for help or advice or any questions you may have, there are many lovely people on the forum, we are all here to support one another. Thank you. 
  • Sarge1969
    Options
    Hi. No not got that information yet, I’m hoping we won’t be waiting too long as it’s gone on far too long already. I’ve lost count how many times in went in secondary school to speak to senco over the non existent support for him. 
    Plus the bullying he has faced for many years has made him a recluse, he’s just too worried to go out. My heart breaks for him. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome @Sarge1969. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's any way we can advise you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sarge1969
    Options
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sarge1969 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of everything your son is having to go through and I hope you manage to get some more support from him.  Please keep in touch and let us know how he is getting on and if there is anything we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Sarge1969
    Options
    Thank you. Can’t believe I haven’t found this site before, lots of lovely people and information 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad you're liking it so far @Sarge1969
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness