Hi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi

Chefsmrs
Chefsmrs Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone
Hope everyone is looking forward to Christmas like me. 
I am a 52 year old housewife & have 1 son whos 20.
I suffer from a few medical issues. 
Mainly arthritis which i have in both hips both knees neck hands it is worsened dramatically by the fact im also very overweight & because of this i now have quite bad depression. Id love advice if possible & someone who understands 
Thankyou Lesley xx

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi @Chefsmrs welcome to scopes online community. I'm Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here on the site. I'm here to support people. If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm happy to help. Sorry to hear you have medical issues, I do too so I can relate to how you may feel. I hope you have a lovely Christmas.
    Hope to talk soon, take care. 
    Tammy ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chefsmrs - Just would like to say, welcome from me too, Lesley. I also have arthritis due to overuse of my joints because of hypermobility (in my case a genetic disorder).
    The good thing is you realise where your problems lie, & may therefore now address these. A healthy diet helps, together with gentle exercise. I'll also ask my friend @the spiceman for his help, & resources concerning your depression, as he has a great understanding about this.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chefmrs and welcome to the Community also.  I'm really sorry to hear of your health struggles.  You will find lots of support and friendship on this forum so please chat to us anytime, as there will always be someone here to listen.  Some of our members will be able to relate to what you are going through and will be happy to reach out to you I'm sure.  Glad to hear you are looking forward to Christmas.  It has came around quickly hasn't it?!  I hope you have a wonderful time!  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and I hope you enjoy your time with us.  If there is anything else we can help you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll just ask my friend @thespiceman for help again as I think he must have missed my first message as he's so busy helping people here. I hope you're doing OK today, Lesley.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello  @Chefsmrs    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Thanks to my friend @chiarieds mentioning me. I am sorry . I am here now.

Pleasure to help you.

I have mental health and have a vast knowledge of mental health issues, Diet, nutrition and all aspects of well being and health.

Qualifications in Understanding Health Part 2.

Including addiction history.

I am one of the team of community champions.

I am understanding offer compassion have empathy and am sensitive to any one in our community going through problems and issues.

Please can I advise that you would be a good idea to speak to the following.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.uk.

They offer floating support, well being health and advice.

On your mental health and wellbeing.  Including sleep, medication, diet, nutrition.

Also benefit advice and anything else.

The last one I used as an advocate charity.

Offer an advocate to represent you on your behalf.  Regarding any problems with mental health teams or Doctors.

I would just add might not be in all areas.

One further piece of advice. All local County Councils have a wellbeing service. Community Health.

As with the above charities offer well being health advice one to one and as they do look at everything.

Please can I also say depression and weight issues are a common health problems.

I would if I can please explain could be useful to look at doing some simple changes.

These are the following.  With any diet changes or nutrition . Speak to your Doctor, they are supporting you and they should be aware of your mental health state.

I do this all the time, you not bothering them that is there role.

Simple changes are the following may I add always .

Please if you have any allergies to anything I have suggested please consult the Doctor first.

One other use a food diary what you eat, can be useful keeps a track of your eating, your diet.

Reference guide.  See where you need to evaluate any foods your eating, and take action.

Fresh fruit, vegetables. Can be frozen or fresh.

Wholegrains, including pulses beans and lentils.

Wholegrains means Whole wheat or grain Pasta, Rice, Bread, grains such as Couscous.  Oats.

Lean meat Chicken, Turkey, 

Remove skin all times.

Fish and Seafood use Tinned .

Use Frozen Fish cheaper.

Avoid, Caffeine in the following, Coffee, Tea, Chocolate, Cola.

Beer, Wine, any alcohol.  Smoking.

Processed ripe cheese.

With any weight issues the removal of all biscuits, cakes and pastries any products deemed full fat.

Avoid Beef , Lamb. Bacon. any fatty cuts remove skin or rind or eat less of them.

We need fats in our diet but it is how much and in moderation.

Cutting out major food groups can be harmful just thought I share that it is finding that then to replace.

Olive Oil, Rapeseed Oil, Nuts even Peat nut Butter good sources of Fat.

Greek Yoghurt and Fromage Frais and others are a good source of Calcium.

One of the problems in losing any weight is to consult the right people. I know offered a lot of advice today but should always consult a nutritionist or the organisations I have suggested.

Something to consider. 

Arthritis help and advice this organisation useful.

https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk.

Please if I can help with anything further.

Please can help with low fat recipes and anything else related. 

Please can I wish you the best and please contact me happy to help any questions.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome @Chefsmrs!
    Community Manager
    Scope