Hi, my name is pauldc! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is pauldc!

pauldc
pauldc Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all in 2017 I suffered a TIA then a month later my wife passed then I went from permanent DLA higher rates of both then had to change to pip that changed so less money to help i losses my mobility car and now have to rely on my 80 year old father who’s not well himself to get to my appointments. Although I have 3 grown up children and a 3 week old baby grandson I feel isolated and alone.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauldc - Welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & also sharing about your problems; I'm very sorry to read about your wife. A lot of people have difficulty when migrating from DLA to PIP. The problem seems to be that whereas DLA focused on your disability, with PIP, it's how your disability affects you, & many having difficulty describing this.
    I've just posted some information this morning to another person here feeling isolated, but am unsure if it will help you since you no longer have your own transport, but sending 'just in case.' See: https://www.blurtitout.org/2019/10/03/social-prescribing/ Your GP should be able to tell you if it's available near you. The idea is to let you know what sort of groups/activities may be accessed to lessen isolation, etc.
    Another thing that's been mentioned is 'The Chatty Cafe Scheme,' where people can share a cuppa & chat with others. See: https://thechattycafescheme.co.uk    You can use your postcode or area to search if there's such a scheme near you : https://thechattycafescheme.co.uk/find-your-nearest-table/
    You are also most welcome to join in any discussions as well as chat here too.

• pauldc
    Thankyou I will look into these
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @pauldc
                        Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you facing and my condolences regarding your wife. Please do have a look around the forum, there are many conversations taking place which may be of interest to you and which you can join in with if want too. Also, please if you have any questions then do just ask, there are many lovely people on the forum and there will be someone who will be able to help. We are here to support one another. Thank you for joining us and sharing your story. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @pauldc and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to read about your wife and how isolated you now feel. Did you see your children much over the Christmas period?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pauldc
    Hi yes 2 of them live with me but since my wife passed we’ve drifted although their in the house it still seems empty I can’t even get out to our local shops just that bit of a connection with someone would make a difference I’m sure it would help lol

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauldc

Welcome it’s great to have you onboard ?‍♀️

I am very very sorry to hear about your wife.

Yes I have suffered a Stroke (1998) I was only 32 at the time.

Please please let me know if you need any help getting around??

@steve51
  • pauldc
    Hi and thanks for the reply what do you mean in getting around ?sorry I’m an idiot
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauldc - I 'think' Steve means getting around the forum. Near to the top of this page on the right-hand side is a link to 'All groups' where you can then see the different sections here. You could also use the 'Recent discussions' link below that.
    I wonder if you'd consider contacting the Salvation Army (they help people regardless of their religion, or lack of one). The link I'll give is where you can search for the one closest to you. In some areas they have befriending services, but at least one I rang up was willing to visit another member here, even 'tho they didn't have that specific service. Perhaps worth a try. See: https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/map-page

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauldc

No Probs!!!!!

We are very very happy in pointing “new members” in & around the “community”

There is some great info/advice on here!!!!

“Don’t Feel Alone & Isolated Any More”

@steve.

Brightness