Hi to all — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi to all

aaron70
aaron70 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm Aaron 49 years old from the UK.  I've been struggling for the last couple of years.  I was self employed in the building industry.  I started to get back pains.  I've been diagnosed with scoliosis.  Me and my partner are struggling with money as I have not had a full diagnoses I've not been able to claim PIP.  We do claim working tax and the last couple of months just about paid our bills.  My partner works part time. I love the NHS but feel it's taking so long to get things sorted.  I have an MRI scan on my lower spine in the middle of September and got the results last week.  Which means another trip to the consultant.  I'm in pain daily.  I have some meds but try not to use all the time.  I use a TENS machine, hot water bottles and CBD oil(when I can afford it).  I'm now looking at retraining.  No idea what yet, but something I'm not on my feet all the time or sat down all the time as both cause me more pain.  I found this group last night.  I'm in several groups on Facebook and I feel I have learnt more from them than my GP.  Thanks for listening and being here.  Cheers.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aaron70 - Welcome to this helpful & supportive community. Thank you for joining & also saying about your situation.
    May I just say there is this misconception many people have about PIP being based on a diagnosis, when in fact it's about how any disabilities you may have affect your daily living activities &/or mobility, so long as you have had such problems for at least 3 months, & expect this to continue for at least a further 9 months. Please have a look at some info about PIP here on Scope. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/
    You mention CBD, which I also take; the one I take is £7 a bottle + P&P, so I tend to buy 2 bottles at a time to keep the cost down. This is fullspectrum & lab certified. I do not know if you are aware that this can adversely affect over 90% of prescribed meds, so it's best to discuss this with a pharmacist or your GP. Please say if you'd like to know more about this CBD for pain, which I found out about with a great Facebook forum.
    There's also some info on work here & the following 2 links may have some relevance to you, or be helpful. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/looking-for-work/
    I hope this is of some help, & please say if you have any questions, & do chat here any time as there's usually someone about. :)

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @aaron70   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help, support members of our Community.

With regard to your benefit situation . We have a member of our team who has expertise and knowledge may be able to help or advise further.

@poppy123456 is a member of our Community Champions team.

https://www.sauk.org.uk.

Is the organisation for Scoliosis , might be worth talking to.

Additional support.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

Useful organisation for your money problems.

Helpline 0800 138 7777

Please if I can help with anything else please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aaron70 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Sorry to hear about your health and present situation.  Glad you found us and that you receive lots of information and support from different Facebook groups.  You will receive lots of support and friendship here also as lots of lovely people on here so I hope you enjoy your time with us and wish you well for the future.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @aaron70, I just wanted to say welcome to the community! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aaron70

Good My & Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?????

@steve51

Brightness