I'm on depression tablets I was told I could have extra money — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm on depression tablets I was told I could have extra money

Jaljulie
Jaljulie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I've been to assessment I'm on depression tablets I was told I could have extre money is that true 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Jaljulie Which benefit was the assessment for? 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Jaljulie
    I lost my husband last year how will I get I'm on uc I only get £245  a month hardly any food 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm assuming you've attended a work capability assessment  for your UC claim, is that correct? If so then you will need to wait for the decision to made. Once it's made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal. If you're awarded LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent your first fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jaljulie
    I sign in it just says extra money see your next statement 
  • poppy123456
    Is there a decision letter on your journal? if so, what does it say?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jaljulie
    It just says I might get extra money 
  • Jaljulie
    It says I have limited capacity for work I don't no what that means 
  • poppy123456
    If it just says limited capability for work and your claim started after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money each month.

If it says limited capability for work related activity then you will receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent your first fit note.
  • Jaljulie
    My claim was November last year when I went for assessment 
  • poppy123456
    It doesn’t matter when you went for the assessment. What matters is the exact wording on your journal. Please see my previous comment, if it’s just limited capability for work then your money will stay the same as it is now.
  • Jaljulie
    It says I might get extra money 
  • Jaljulie
    My first sick fit was end of December 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Jaljulie said:
    It says I might get extra money 

Yes, i realise it says that but if it only says limited capability for work because you applied after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money. Your money will stay the same as it is now.

If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration but before doing this you need to get some face to face advice from an agency near you.

Can you please confirm exactly what it is say is it limited capability for work or
    limited capability for work related activity?

• Jaljulie
    Limited capacity for work it says
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for confirming that. Unfortunately, this doesn't give you any extra money each month and you will remain on the same money you are on now. The reason it says "you maybe entitled to extra money" is because if someone started their claim before April 2017 then they would receive extra money but because yours didn't there's no extra.

To receive the extra money you have to be placed into the higher group as mentioned above. Hope this helps.
  • poppy123456
    I also see that  you're receiving just £245 per month. That less than the standard allowance for those aged under and over 25. If you're under 25 then you should be receiving £251.77. If you're over 25 then it should be £317.82. Are there any deductions being made for any advance payments or anything like that?

Do you rent or own your own home or live with parents? If you rent then you should be receiving the housing element on top of that.
  • Jaljulie
    It says changes will be on your next statement I'm 62 
  • poppy123456
    That's not correct based on what you said the decision is. You will only receive the extra money per month if the decision is limited capability for work related activity.
  • poppy123456
    Are there any deductions being taken from your UC payments? because £245 per month isn't the correct amount because you are over 25.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jaljulie. These letters are really poorly worded because they send the same standard letter to everyone, so they cover all possible outcomes.

As Poppy said, unless the decision is Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activities then there is no extra money except for those who were awarded before April 2017.

You've currently been awarded LCW which means they think you're capable of some work related activities. If you don't agree with the decision you can appeal it to try for the higher award.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.