Hi, my name is Ronja Thielmann — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ronja Thielmann

Options
RonjaThielmann
RonjaThielmann Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am a fashion student in my last year at London Met. My background is that I always loved making things and I have chronic migraines which regularly test my abilities and endurance. I have always focused on inclusive designs but now for my graduate collection I want to go further and have a full accessible collection. I would love this to be a collaboration and others to get involved, give me feedback and generally find human contact. 
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ronja

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @RonjaThielmann and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for the interesting introduction.  I'm really sorry to hear you suffer with chronic migraines and can imagine these can be quite nasty, but you sound as though you cope with them really well.  That is fab that you are studying fashion design and that you wish to have an accessible collection as many people would benefit from that.  Have you always enjoyed designing clothes?  You will find the forum to be a really supportive space full of lovely, friendly people.  It is a great place to meet new friends.  I wish you well with your final year of study and look forward to hearing about your latest fashion designs.  I hope you enjoy your time with us anyway.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • RonjaThielmann
    Options
    Hi @Ails
    thank you for your reply and the warm welcome. Yes I have always loved making clothes and accessories but feel now I need to make sense of my studies in a world of too much fast fashion. So I wanted to do something that is needed. I’m currently working on a migraine hood (mainly for myself at this point) which helps me to leave the house. 

I would love to connect with people who are interested in fashion, though thats not essential, who can give me more feedback on functionality. I’m located in london islington.

if you know of anyone who would like to join me, help me, connect with me please let me know or pass on my details.
    www.ronjathielmann.com
    Instagram @ ronja_inclusivedesign

ronja
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community its great to have you here. I am an amputee and find it really frustrating that I cant wear the clothes I want when using my prosthetic leg. You will notice most amputees wear shorts but I don't feel comfortable in shorts and baring my other very white leg . I like to wear skinny or straight leg jeans but they do not go over the prosthetic leg very well as the sockets are very bulky. I resort to either wearing leggings which are a bit more stretchy or jeans but cutting off one leg above the knee to be able to get them on. I don't want to wear skirts or resort to baggy trousers. So any ides you could think of Im sure would be appreciated by myself and others in a similar situation
  • RonjaThielmann
    Options
    Hi @janer1967
    thank you for sharing this and I understand your frustration. I don’t have any solution for you at this moment, I would fashion something out of what is available as you already do by cutting a leg or perhaps buying a bootcut and sewing one leg more narrow so it sits well. 

But this is useful insight and I might include trousers in my collection where one can alter the legs easier. 

Would you be interested in working with me on this, ie meet if possible (I’m in London Islington) or have a chat on the phone? 

Thank you again for replying and sharing.

ronja
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi again I would be happy to help but I live miles away from london and unable to travel unaided so it would have to be by phone or email. We are unable to put any personal details on the forum like phone numbers or emails so not sure how we could communicate I will try find a solution ? 
    @Adrian_Scope do you know how I could sort out this communication 
  • RonjaThielmann
    Options
    ..unsure how to proceed. Can you see my instagram & personal website above in my second post? if yes you could contact me through that!
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi I have sent you email through your website 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi both. Sorry I must've missed this tag, but I'm glad you've found a way around the issue.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness