Hi, my name is jj70! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jj70!

jj70
jj70 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited July 2020 in Start here and say hello!
Hey all, I became disabled during the first two weeks of lockdown, loosing most of the use of my legs (undiagnosed neurological), practically due to recent situations (Covid) this has been a nightmare, hoping to find a bit of help and support here
Tagged:

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jjdd70

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I have had a Stroke (Neurological)

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with??????

@steve51

• jj70
    Hey Steve, thank you. Where would you like me to start it’s been horrendous. It’s been since the start of Lockdown, can’t see a doctor, Social Services....nothing. All hospital appointments cancelled. Had to borrow a crutch (can walk about 30m with it just), a few months ago a delivery man dropped a wheelchair (outdoor manual one), no assessment or training, the wheels actually fell off luckily I’m 50 not 90. I a few thousand pounds in parking tickets, can’t get a mobility scooter, car packed up this afternoon...,.thats just a snippet lol
  • steve51
    Hi @jjdd70

Thanks.

I am very very sorry to hear about your many many problems during the shutdown. 

Sorry to hear about the wheelchair as well.

Please please let me know more if you don’t mind.

@steve51

• jj70
    Sure I’m very new to the forum is this the right place to reply?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jj70 - welcome to the community. Your reply is exactly in the right place. It's not easy to know, unless you've been on a site such as this before!
    I'm sorry to read about all you're going through, & it certainly couldn't happen at a worse time. Hopefully things can only improve; it doesn't sound like they could get much worse. Altho you may not be able to see your GP, have you tried ringing them about loosing most of the use of your legs? This must be quite frightening, & you certainly need their support.
    Please know that people here will also support you, & offer advice if we can. Please kindly let us all know how you're doing, thank you.
  • steve51
    Hi @jjdd70

Yes you are ok & let me know if you have any problems?????

@steve51
  • jj70
    Ok here goes, didn’t want to bore you all but you asked lol.
    i work in front line health and social care, I don’t know if this makes sense but the job maked this easier for me mentally. I get to see things very few people get to see and come home feeling a lucky man every day (don’t get me wrong it has affected me mentally but probably less than most).
    played sport most of my life (I’m 50 now so been a while, mainly Rugby and Football), so many injuries over the years I know my body well. I know what is muscle, tendon, bone, cartlige etc way better than most.
    just before Christmas my legs had a numb feeling and one day I collapsed, felt nothing like it before. Trying to keep short....knew it was non of the above, went docs, sent physio, conclusion- neurological...pretty much worked that out on my own. Work with MS suspected that still do. I have no pain legs just won’t come-ordinate. Bizzarley I can walk uphill or up steps way way better than I can walk on the flat.
    Before Covid lockdown had blood tests MRI etc. At this time needed a crutch (borrowed) but could walk about a mile with crutch.
    But just gradually got worse, by first week of lockdown I was down to a few 100m with crutch, now down to less than 30m with crutch.
    wheelchair delivered as said, man it’s harder than it looks on TV.
    no medical or social help due to Covid. Interpreted my own blood tests, possibility of B12 deficiency.....one thing that might be interesting to many people and the vast majority of Doctors have no idea about....a normal or high blood count of B12 is not even close to a reliable diagnosis of low B12, talked GP into trying treatment (couldn’t talk to anyone else and then only on the phone), gave me a loading dose, after 2.5 weeks I could walk 500m unaided. But they stopped treatment.
    The nearest legal parking to my front door is over 800m, been getting up to 3 parking tickets a day.
    i can’t make the distance uphill in wheelchair or walk it with crutch.
    today clutch went on car, AA towed me to garage, Taxi to my front door. I’m now officially housebound as of this afternoon, can’t get a mobility scooter cans don’t have the money to get my car out of the garage, this also leaves me unemployed (no sick pay in my profession). People get confused about how I’ve worked through this, just had to change the type of work I was doing- can park outside a clients door and sort out their medication/paperwork etc.
    you asked for it, bet that bored you lol.
    after today, we’ll that’s how I ended up posting here :) 
  • steve51
    Hi @jjdd70

That’s great thanks.

Yes please please come back to me if there’s anything  that I can help you further with????

@steve51
  • jj70
    Hey Steve, no idea what you can help me with, but right now will take any help I can get, emotional support wise I’m pretty ok, practical support wise in the current climate, totally lost. I’ve been giving other people practical and emotional support all through this pandemic. But as an an example mechanics who work on their cars all day struggle to work on theirs at home.
  • steve51
    Hi @jjdd70

No probs I just wanted to offer my whole support which ever you need?????

Yes we are all living in a very strange situation at the moment.

I just wanted to let you know that I am always here for you.

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jjdd70, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. :)
    Scope

Brightness