Hi, my name is wendys77! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is wendys77!

wendys77
wendys77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. My name is Wendy. I must admit I'm totally devastated right now. I've just arrived at my dads home yesterday to find him living in total poverty. I had no idea his situation was this way. I haven't been able to visit for almost 12 months as I live away. His disability benefits were stopped approx 12 mths ago and he was signed fit for work by DWP regardless of suffering from 4 strokes, epilepsy, and partial blindness. Since that time he has been trying to appeal the decision but without being able to read letters etc has found it extremely difficult. He is a very proud man and therefore didn't want to worry me with any of this. 
Since all this began he has now been diagnosed with prostate cancer, hence my visit awaiting his biopsy results. 
Please, please, please does anyone have any advice as I've arrived here finding him with no food or gas etc to help with his health requirements. I cannot believe people are left in this kind of poverty in the U.K. 

Comments

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @wendys77 Sorry to hear this.

Do you know if there is a local Citizens Advice office near you?  If not they have a national number and website.

Does the local Council have anything on their website about crisis facilities such as food bamks or local Mutual Aid set up?

If appropriate contact Age Uk 

I am sure Scope will be able t help locally.

Without giving too much away roughly where are you so you can find local help?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    @wendys77 Welcome and thank you for posting about your dad.

I can't imagine how it must have felt to find your dad living in those conditions.  I hope you are okay, it must have been a real shock.  

In the first instance, I think you need to speak with a local benefits adviser and the advice local website allows you to enter your postcode to find nearby services.  

Scope also have a free helpline with friendly staff who can offer personalised advice based on more information relating to your dad's situation.  They are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday to Sunday 10am to 6pm and the number is: 0808 800 3333. Textphone: dial 18001 then 0808 800 3333.

I am sure you will get more support from  our online community and I have my fingers crossed this can only get better from here on in for your dad.  Take care and please let us know if you need any further advice.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Just to add to @roberttaylor570's post - Shelter have a postcode look up tool on their 'Cash in a crisis' webpage that allows you to find your dad's local council and the scheme they have in place for extreme hardship. 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • roberttaylor570
    edited September 2020
    @Cher_Scope @wendys77 Here are some links I have copied from google

<moderator removed - incorrect link>  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

0808 800 3333
    Phone: 0808 800 3333. Textphone: dial 18001 then 0808 800 3333. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles. Email: helpline@scope.org.uk.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @roberttaylor570 Great thanks, I've just edited the first link you included as it went to a to fee-paying solicitors website and I think you meant to include the Citizens Advice website :)

• roberttaylor570
    edited September 2020
    @Cher_Scope Thank you.

I will take this up with the CEO of Medway Citizens Advice as I doubt they are aware either.

We are good friends as he is CLP Secretary as well and we meet regularly, or used to.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear this! Please may i point out that this link here https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/money_problems_and_energy_costs/cash_in_a_crisis

He won't be able to claim a Universal Credit advance payment unless he claims this benefit. Although he may not have any option at this point.

This is extrmely complicated and a lot of advice to take through an internet forum and could take sometime to give you all the advice, answer the questions needed and help is needed ASAP. I'm going to put a link up for Macmillan Cancer support https://www.macmillan.org.uk/?&infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~326934559584~kw~mcmillan~mt~e~cmp~G_PS_BA_UK_BND_PURE_EX~ag~Misspells&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuomBtoaP7AIVCuntCh0FCATaEAAYASAAEgJvUPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are extremely helpful and definitely the people you should be speaking to. They will give your father all the help and advice he needs.

Please do not pay anyone for any advice because there's help out there that is available for free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wendys77 - I'm pleased you have joined this supportive community, because, as you see, there is advice which will help you're Dad. I hope you're OK; you must be reeling with seeing your Dad like that.
    I'm sure the advice given above will help him, once you start the ball rolling, & I wish you both well.
    Please use this forum at any time to chat, & get some support for you too. Kindly let us know how you both get on, thank you. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @wendys77

Welcome to the community, I'm glad you have joined. 

Hopefully you find this a very helpful and supportive place. I'm sorry to hear about your dad's current living situation.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • wendys77
    Please does anyone know where I can get food bank vouchers for my dad as just had such a frustrating phone call with supposedly Cardiff council money advice department to be offered no help at all. He's getting very upset right now and I can't stand to see him in this state. Thank you to all 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @wendys77, I'm not sure personally but I found this resource online that explains how. 

Hopefully others will have their own knowledge or experience in this area to offer you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    wendys77 said:
    Please does anyone know where I can get food bank vouchers for my dad as just had such a frustrating phone call with supposedly Cardiff council money advice department to be offered no help at all. He's getting very upset right now and I can't stand to see him in this state. Thank you to all 
    @wendys77

The Cardiff food bank website says to contact them via this Contact us weblink.  They can then direct you to who to contact to obtain vouchers.  I'm sorry this is harder than it needs to be.  

• poppy123456
    @wendys77 did you contact Macmillan as advised?

May i also ask when the decision was made that found him fit for work for his ESA? was it within the last 13 months?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wendys77
    Hi Poppy. Yes it was within the last 13mths. And I'm just about to contact Macmillan now. Tyvm for all replies. We are extremely grateful. Love to everyone that's taken the time to help us. Xxx
  • poppy123456
    To be honest i think his only option is to claim Universal Credit because he has no money to support himself. At least this way he'll have some money to pay bills and buy food and that's the most important thing here. He will need a fit note from his GP to be able to start the limited capability for work process off.

Please do still request the MR for the ESA and continue to Tribunal if the MR decision doesn't change. Remember that they will only take into consideration how his condition was at the time he was last assessed.

I hope Macmillan are able to give you all the help and advice you need. Please do come back if you have any further questions.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there

I just wanted to say hi and welcome, what an awful situation for you to find, I really hope you get something sorted
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @wendys77

It's great to meet you today ? 

How are things going today??

Please please let me know if you need any further help??

@steve51

Brightness