Hi, I'm Rebecca :) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Rebecca :)

Rebecca7
Rebecca7 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
I struggle with chronic fatigue and with communication problems. I am hoping to be able to connect with others who also struggle with long term health problems. I am hoping to be less isolated and find ways to contribute more.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @rebecca71 and welcome tot he community :) 

This is a very supportive, fun place to be so I'm sure you will find like-minded people here that you have things in common with :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Rebecca7
    @Ross_Scope - Thank you for the welcome :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rebecca7 How are you today?  Do you have much planned for this cold Sunday?  Lots of my friends seem to be putting their Christmas trees up :)

I'm not sure if you've ventured much around the community, but make sure to stop off in our Invisible impairments discussion board as others in their experience chronic fatigue too.  Also, our virtual coffee lounge is a good place to meet other people, make friends and have some relaxed chitter chatter.  

If you want us to have a think together about ways to to reduce your feelings of isolation let me know.  There's lots going off online and we could signpost you to things you might find interesting!

Take care and talk to you soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rebecca7 - & welcome to the community. This is a very friendly & supportive group so I hope you join in with the discussions, & games in the 'Coffee lounge,' get to know other members, & begin to feel less isolated. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rebecca7 Welcome on board I see you have been joining in with some posts and thats great. I look forward to seeing you around
  • Rebecca7
    Hi @Cher_Scope thank you for the welcome. I don't always know how to answer questions. That's something I am hoping to learn more about/practice here. I want to be able to connect with people but I often don't know how. Yes, discussing how to reduce isolation would be good please. I think finding ways to contribute more would help. Thanks :)
  • Rebecca7
    Hi @chiarieds thank you for the welcome :) 
  • Rebecca7
    Hi @janer1967 thank you for the welcome :) 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Rebecca7 :) Have you been finding your way around the community okay? Have you had a chance to take a look around our virtual coffee lounge yet? As the others have said, that's a great place to start.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Rebecca7
    Hi @Tori_Scope thank you for the welcome :) Yes, I have been in the coffee lounge bit. I'm trying to work out the best ways to contribute but I think I probably need to be patient - maybe it will become obvious once I've been on here for a while.
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Rebecca7 said:
    Hi @Cher_Scope thank you for the welcome. I don't always know how to answer questions. That's something I am hoping to learn more about/practice here. I want to be able to connect with people but I often don't know how. Yes, discussing how to reduce isolation would be good please. I think finding ways to contribute more would help. Thanks :)
    Hi @Rebecca7

Sorry I didn't spot your comment sooner :)  No problem about answering questions, take your time and do it as and when you feel comfortable.  

It's great that you want to discuss reducing your isolation.  There's lots of activities to try.  What kind of hobbies do you have? Is there anything you enjoy doing like crafts or exercise?  We can brainstorm together.  

It's great to see you about and speak soon.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Rebecca7
    Thank you @Cher_Scope :) I have very little energy. All of my hobbies and interests of the past have disappeared because I couldn't do them or I just can't connect with that life anymore. So I struggle to know what to talk to people about. I'd like to volunteer/help/contribute to the lives of other people but I don't really know how so I often feel a bit lost.
  • chiarieds
    Hi again @Rebecca7 - in this community we try to help & support each other. Sometimes it's the simplest of things such as saying, 'Hi, & welcome' to a new member, just so they know someone's read their post, & they are not alone.
    Please don't feel obliged, but if you'd like, this would be such a lovely way to start. If you did decide to try this, just only do so when you're able. As well as giving support, we also get to know each other just chatting. Even when you give support, many of us know we may also need support too. This is sort of how this community works.....we share, & get to know each other a little in the process.
    You don't often have to talk, rather listen. :)
  • Rebecca7
    @chiarieds - Thank you for the advice and suggestions :) 
  • chiarieds
    You're very welcome @Rebecca7 - I do hope you enjoy being part of this community as everyone's so friendly. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Rebecca7 said:
    Thank you @Cher_Scope :) I have very little energy. All of my hobbies and interests of the past have disappeared because I couldn't do them or I just can't connect with that life anymore. So I struggle to know what to talk to people about. I'd like to volunteer/help/contribute to the lives of other people but I don't really know how so I often feel a bit lost.
    Hi @Rebecca7

We understand.  As @chiarieds says, just being there and empathising with people on our community can make all the difference.  Many people want to feel 'seen' and 'heard' when they are posting for support, and being that reassuring voice that responds and acknowledges them can help alleviate distress.  If you are comfortable doing that, we'd totally appreciate it but again there's no pressure to do so.

As for your hobbies and interests, do you have any new things you'd like to explore?  Maybe something that doesn't require a lot of energy like reading or listening to different podcasts.  I enjoy podcasts because they help distract me from any worries and also don't require anything on my part on days I feel off it.  There's so many out there too, maybe give that some thought?

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome  just getting through my welcome list lol will come back  its lovely on here 

Brightness