Hi, my name is skipjack37! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is skipjack37!

skipjack37
skipjack37 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hello, hope everyone is coping ok. I am currently living in a first floor flat in Garston. I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my back and hips. I need a Walker to go out but I very rarely do because I can’t manage the stairs. I feel very isolated and I’m hoping this chat line will also be a lifeline for me. Best wishes to everyone. Thank you.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hello  @skipjack37 - & welcome to this friendly community. Thank you for joining with your kind wishes, & I certainly hope we can help a little. This is a very supportive group too. I'm so sorry that you feel isolated, as many of our members do, but please do get to know some of us by joining us in our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for a chat & a little distraction; you would be most welcome, or just chat here any time. :)
    On a practical front, has anyone tried to help you with the difficulty you have with managing the stairs?
  • skipjack37
     Hi chiarieds thank you for replying I’m a bit out of my death it’s been so long since I’ve talked to anyone other than my partner. I really don’t know who to talk to about it I just typed in disability and scope came up I was hoping someone might have some pointers. I went on to the housing website and they mentioned an assessment by an OT but I don’t know where to start.
  • skipjack37
    Sorry that was a mistype I meant to say depth.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You can self refer for a care needs assessment with an OT in the gov website they will come and assess you and your home and make recommendations for aids and adaptions most of which they will then supply 

Due to covid they may not be able to visit currently 

This will be a good starting point 
  • chiarieds
    Hi, there's some info here from the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/occupational-therapy/  Hope this may help, but any queries please get back to us, as others will be able to help.

• chiarieds
    edited January 2021
    Here's the self-referral needs assessment link mentioned above by Jane: https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services

• skipjack37
    Thank you both for the information I will fill in the relevant forms directly you’ve been very helpful thank you. Hope to talk again soon. Bye
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hello @skipjack37 and thank you for taking the brave step of joining our community!  I appreciate how daunting that can be when you aren't used to speaking with different people, but we are a kind and friendly lot, I promise :)

How are you doing today?  If you have time, I'd recommend you have a nosey through our recent discussions.  That's a good way of seeing what we are all talking about, and if you'd like to join in feel free. 

Let me know if you have any issues getting around the website, and I hope we can speak again soon.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @skipjack37 :) How have you been getting on with filling in the forms? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness