I am looking to start my own business — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am looking to start my own business

Options
laura3110
laura3110 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Good morning 
i am looking to start my own business but know i will not be able to commit myself to full time.
I have bipolar, i've been on Support group ESA i am petrified of going back to work full time and damaging my health again, then being back to square one again - Homeless, and jobless and trying to claim all over again. 

Any tips from people?
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @laura3110 I commend you for wanting to start your own business  but in my own opinion this can bring alot of stress in its self  unless you personally think you can cope with this 

Another option would be to work part time and stay on benefit as you are allowed to work and claim which may be better for you but only my opinion 

I am sure others will comment with advise aswel 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome what sort of business are you thinking of starting ? 

Starting a business doesn't mean you have to commit to full time that's the beauty it can be flexible to meet your needs you just commit to the amount of work you are capable of doing 

However there will be stress related to marketing your business and getting it off the ground and the admin of it 

Job centre run some good courses to support people starting up 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @laura3110

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

Great to hear you are looking to start a business, I would say that if you have a well thought out and researched idea, there's no reason why you can't do it and succeed. There's no need for a self-employed person to work full time, as long as what you make covers your bills of course :) 

Please remember also that even though you will be employing yourself, there is still support that you are entitled to so that you can make doing your job easier, see this page for more information.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Bear in mind too that if this business is going to be operating from your home, you may need to inform your landlord, you may be liable for certain rates and may need to purchase specific insurance dependant on what it is you will be doing. 
  • laura3110
    laura3110 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Thank you everyone 
    so the business won’t be from my home. It will be a cleaning business so not working from home. 
    I contacted DWP I’m allowed to do permitted work which will include up to 16hrs per week. The woman told me that I can register my business and start website building etc 
    So I’m able to start off small. 

I really appreciate the help, with start looking for funding etc for equipment. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great stuff @laura3110 :) Keep us updated! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sardarabdulahad hi and a warm Christmas welcome to scope, please note however that this thread is almost two years old and that the OP hasn't been back here for two years, hope you ae having  good day and enjoy being a member in the future.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    [Removed by moderator]
    Reported for advertising.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Starting your own business can be a great way to take control of your career and life.  You can set your own hours and workload, so you don't have to commit to full-time. It's important to do your research and think about what kind of business you want to create. One option you may want to consider is reaching  They specialize in helping entrepreneurs and small business owners develop and grow their businesses. Also, they helped me in launching my digital marketing agency.
    Reported for advertising.

As the original has been removed it's a shame it was copied into your post, but it's an easy mistake to make. I've removed it from my copy of your post.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness