Hi, I'm Tori and I'm hoping you'd help me out with my master's research — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Tori and I'm hoping you'd help me out with my master's research

Options
Tori_N10
Tori_N10 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I'm Tori and I have an invisible yet physical disability. I’m currently reading Criminology, Sexualities and Genders.
For my master's research, my aim is to explore people who are physically disabled understanding of sexual consent.
There is little to no research surrounding people with physical disabilities and our experience of sexuality and sexual consent. I aim to shed light on our experiences through this piece of research, to ensure all our needs are made visible.
The research will be conducted through one on one video or voice call interviews with myself, in which we will have unlimited time to talk about you, your disability and your personal understanding of sexual consent.
If you choose to take part, you will be given a pseudonym to ensure your confidentiality and you will have the option to opt-out of the research at any time.
If you feel you would like to take part, please follow this link and fill out this short survey. This is just so I have your contact information to organise an interview time with you. All information given will be securely stored and destroyed when finished.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/597V6KF (this has been approved by Scope)

Any questions? 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.
    Good luck with your research Tori.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tori, your research sounds interesting but an understanding of the concept of consent would only be diminished by mental health, cognitive or learning disability or an acquired brain injury not by a physical disability so I am unsure as to how feasible your research would be unless it is around the way others allow or ignore us when we try to remove consent for an action they are performing on/with us - if that makes sense - it is not our ability to give or remove consent that is the issue it is how those around us (carers, friends, family, partners) listen to and react when we try to remove our consent for something
  • Tori_N10
    Tori_N10 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Jean, interesting point. Through previous research, I have found that everyone has varying understandings of consent, due to varying levels of education formal or informal. I'm not hypothesizing that people with physical disabilities consent would be diminished but that the concept of consent itself is understood differently, in conjunction with their physical disability. And that is a major part of the research as well, how people without disabilities interact with us and react when consent is not given or removed. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.