'The Elusive Kebab' Intro from russellrobert9 (inc blog) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'The Elusive Kebab' Intro from russellrobert9 (inc blog)

Options
russellrobert9
russellrobert9 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in Start here and say hello!

Hello.  I’d like to introduce myself as Robert Penny*, aged 62, white, male.  I have had a disabling condition since November 2017.   I had what I thought was a problem with my lower back, but it turned out to be metastatic prostate cancer.  The cancer cells had spread to my spine and overnight I became paraplegic.  Since then, I have lived in a care home for the last 3 years.  I use a power chair and get out as much as I can (or did prior to lockdown).  I am fortunate to still have use of my mental faculties and enjoy doing cryptic crosswords, quizzes, word puzzles.  I also enjoy reading – mainly fiction.  I’m ashamed to say that until I became unwell, I had never read a book by a female author (at least as an adult; as a child I’m sure I read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.   Friends tell me I have still retained my dry sense of humour.   I’ll let you be the judge of that.  I’ve managed to write a blog, which people say makes them laugh, and also gives them insight into the challenges faced on a daily basis by someone with a disabling condition.  I joined Scope because I wanted to make new friends who are in a similar position to me.  Here’s the link, please feel free to peruse.  http://robertsramblings2.blogspot.com/   

*Robert is my middle name.  Penny was a shortened version of the first name of my sister, of whom I remember very little (she died in early childhood)

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @russellrobert9

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your blog, how long have you been writing? 

You've certainly been through a lot, and I imagine it helps to express your feelings and convey your experiences in writing.

Just to let you know, I've removed details of what might be your full name / personal details from your post, in accordance with our community guidelines.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • russellrobert9
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Thanks for this Ross and for your kind words.  I've only started writing when I developed this disabling conditions, in 2017.  Yes, you're right, I often struggle with face-to-face contact, unless I know them well, so writing is a good way for me to communicate and express my feelings.  Reading, if not writing, has been part of my life from very early on.  Obviously I don't want to give my full name/personal details, but my full name is (Removed by moderator, full name) .  Perhaps I should also change my Username from 'Russellrobert9'?  Ironically I chose (Removed)  to avoid giving (Removed)  and using 'Penny' was a tribute to my sister.  So on this basis I would ask you to reconsider your editing decision (or perhaps suggest a compromise - I will also think on), and also advise on suitability of my Username.  If you decide that there is no choice than to keep the edited changes, then of course I will abide by your decision.  :)

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks @russellrobert9, I have re-instated part of your original comment and pologies for any confusion. I also removed your full name from your most recent comment.

If you want us to change your username then please email community@scope.org.uk and let us know what you'd like your new one to be :) 

It's super to hear of the benefits reading and writing have brought you, I'd encourage you to keep it up!

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • russellrobert9
    Options
    Thanks Ross, that's fine.  I'll keep my username as it for now.  My next task is to ensure I make time to read introductions from others who have recently joined (and who will join in the future).  Should be easier to find time once Euros are over - spending too much time watching the football, but at least its only every 4 years!  :) BW Russell
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    That sounds super @russellrobert9, I'm sure other new members will be grateful to hear from you on their posts. We do have a discussion dedicated to the Euros if you want to get involved, it's in the coffee lounge section.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's great to see that you made it onto the community @russellrobert9 :) Please feel free to have a look around, and let us know if you need anything. 

Have you been enjoying the Euros? What did you think of the games last night? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @russellrobert9 - & welcome to the community. Enjoying your blog, thank you. I've read 'The Elusive Kebab,' & will come back to read more. :)
  • russellrobert9
    Options
    Thanks chiarieds.  I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. :)

Brightness