Hi, my name is Samiam72! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Samiam72!

Samiam72
Samiam72 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi All, what a journey coming back to the UK after 4 years and a brain tumour excision away! My tumour (benign but Life Changing!!) is now regrowing and i for the first time have had to claim universal credit due to homelessness (father in law issues) and no income as husband is self employed and got sick. I was handing in Fit notes as per Job Centre for 2 years and only due to me moaning to a UC advisor was this picked up and she told me to get a WCA - never heard of it before and still do not understand it but have just had an assessment so will wait and see. I also had to wait 3 years before i could get any help with my disabilities as i had not lived in the UK (born, bred, paid taxes and was a MOD employee) for the past 3 years (whatever happened to not helping our own citizens??) so applying for PIP was a challenge in itself and a huge struggle for me - did not know i could reach out to charities for help. I was denied after 8 months of waiting however a mandatory review has just awarded me full benefit. Yay - thanks to the benefitsandwork group.
Being a hidden disability with a lanyard and a card stating i am deaf and also a brain injury card which describes 3 of my symptoms you would think people would be kinder - not so. I was in discussions with LNER before covid to come aboard and help the team understand what hidden disability looks like, there needs to be more training and understanding of all disabilities hidden or not.
In a world that is under immense strain lets all Be Kind. It really is that simple.
If you're still reading this, thank you. Lovely to be aboard x

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Samiam72 :) How are you doing today? 

It sounds like a lot has been happening over the past couple of years. I'm sorry to hear about your brain tumour, and that you've had some difficulty navigating the benefits system.

The Turn2Us website has some information about the work capability assessment (WCA), which you might find helpful? Benefits and Work, who you mentioned in your post, also have some information on this

Congratulations on your PIP award :) 

Yes, there does definitely need to be more awareness of the barriers disabled people face. It's great that you were in discussions with LNER about hidden impairments- how did you find speaking to them? Were you able to make any suggestions? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Thanks for sharing your story with us 

It is a battle at times to get through all the hoops of benefits claims 

You have a positive attitude which will be to your advantage 

Keep up the good work and it's great to have you on board 
  • Samiam72
    Samiam72 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Welcome to the community @Samiam72 :) How are you doing today? 

It sounds like a lot has been happening over the past couple of years. I'm sorry to hear about your brain tumour, and that you've had some difficulty navigating the benefits system.

The Turn2Us website has some information about the work capability assessment (WCA), which you might find helpful? Benefits and Work, who you mentioned in your post, also have some information on this

Congratulations on your PIP award :) 

Yes, there does definitely need to be more awareness of the barriers disabled people face. It's great that you were in discussions with LNER about hidden impairments- how did you find speaking to them? Were you able to make any suggestions? 
    Hi Tori, 
    unfortunately not, by the time LNER got sorted we hit covid and haven’t heard since ?
    welcome any suggestions and I will discuss again when we are all free to roam. X
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Samiam72 - it's lovely to 'meet' you. You've been through such a lot, yet you positivity shines through. I hope you do eventually get to discuss hidden disabilities with LNER.
    Great to hear about your PIP success; hope your UC assessment paves the way for success there too. :)

Brightness