Join Scope's Research Panel Today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Join Scope's Research Panel Today

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2021 in Research and opportunities
Scope’s Research Panel is a group of disabled people (and parents and carers of disabled children) who take part in research projects with Scope.

It’s a great way for you to use your lived experiences and have your say, as well as get vouchers as a thank you for your time and effort.

You can sign up or read more information by going to the Research Panel's webpage :)
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Options
    I did sign up for this when the new forum was being designed, however they require you to go on zoom calls for each research project they do. For someone with Autism and crippling social anxiety its not something I can do so unfortunatley can't take part in them.

I can't talk to someone I don't know over the phone or on a video call, so if it was more accessable I would take part.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rubin16

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your experiences are always valuable. I have autism too, which comes with social anxiety - especially when the dreaded word 'call' is mentioned! In my experience though, if you suggest reasonable adjustments to them (such as type only) this is allowed and they encourage you to do what makes you feel comfortable  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    The requirement of zoom and teams is not true. I’ve done some that way and others have just been done over the telephone. Reasonable adjustments will be accommodated. 
  • James_Scope
    James_Scope Scope Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    rubin16 said:
    I did sign up for this when the new forum was being designed, however they require you to go on zoom calls for each research project they do. For someone with Autism and crippling social anxiety its not something I can do so unfortunatley can't take part in them.

I can't talk to someone I don't know over the phone or on a video call, so if it was more accessable I would take part.
    Hi @rubin16, sorry to hear that you didn't think the Panel is accessible. Some of our projects do involve Teams or Zoom calls, but we do make inclusive adjustments for all our projects so participants feel comfortable. To give one example, recently someone did a one to one session where they typed out their thoughts on a Teams call (with their camera off), instead of speaking out loud. 

We also have projects that don't involve speaking to someone that you don't know; we have surveys and quick polls which panellists can do in their own time. For example, we currently have a very short survey where you can have your say about which words and phrases Scope should use. https://chat.wizu.com/scope-1/testing-potential-scope-phrases

All panellists choose which projects they want to take part in during our registration survey, and this information can be updated on the My Profile page

If you want to chat about how you get involved in an accessible way, you can email me directly at researchpanel@scope.org.uk, or just reply to this comment. Thanks :)

James
    James Roscow
    Panel Lead, Scope

Here East Press Centre
    14 East Bay Lane, Stratford, East London
    E15 2GW

Click here to join Scope's Research Panel 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I am interested in helping the community more and have lots of spare time just when I got the email saying to use microsoft teams or zoom I immediatley gave up and didn't even consider asking if I could do them without calling or speaking in person.

It is something I could possibly get involved in more now knowing I don't have to speak to someone in person and I can just type my answers. I will take alook at some projects and will get involved in some.

Thanks again.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.