Moving home on UC. Do we both need to tell them? Will I need to report to ESA separately? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving home on UC. Do we both need to tell them? Will I need to report to ESA separately?

Options
Butterfliess
Butterfliess Community member Posts: 65 Connected
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,

I am looking for some advice, my partner and I have to move on the 1st of January to our new home.We already live together and have a joint account on UC. My question is, when we move on the 1st and report this change of circumstance do we need to both log in separately to our accounts or can one of us just report it and it works for the both of us?
I don’t really know how to go about it as I have not moved since being on UC and it’s a mine field.

Would I need to report the change of address separately to ESA or will that be automatic when I do UC? 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated as the whole thing really worries me. 

Many thanks 😊 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    You should tell ESA separately.

For UC I don't know the correct procedure but I can't see it doing any harm if you both report.

Note that for the assessment period in which the move takes place your UC housing element for the whole of the period will be based on your new rent regardless of when you moved.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Butterfliess
    When you move only one of you will need to report the change as it'll apply to your account, not an individual as it's a joint claim. If you both report it, you may need to verify the new housing costs multiple times.
    To report the change you'd log on to your account, go to Homepage > Report a change > Where you live and what it costs and then follow the instruction prompts. 

As @calcotti says, definitely report it to ESA separately. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies @calcotti and @Adrian_Scope it has helped greatly.

Would either of you, or anyone else know if I can inform them before the 1st(move in day) or have to wait until the day.

also I know UC is done via the journal, can I just simply ring ESA and provide my new address?

Thanks 🙏 ☺️
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It is best to report the change on the day or immediately after the change has taken place.This is simply in case something at the last minute prevents the move taking place.

Yes, for ESA ring them
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When I moved on uc it only let's you report on or after the date and not before 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Would either of you, or anyone else know if I can inform them before the 1st(move in day) or have to wait until the day.

also I know UC is done via the journal, can I just simply ring ESA and provide my new address?

Hi @Butterfliess. The UC system won't let you report a change before it happens so you'd need to wait until you move in to report the change. Do you know what your assessment period dates are? 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    I thought this was the case, I just wondered if I could do it before hand. Our assessment dates are 10th-11th each month. Will that make a difference?
    As for ESA should I just call up on the 1st and inform them then? (I think they are not open till the 3rd due to bank holiday) 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    It just means that when you receive your next payment it will be for your new rent amount as though you'd lived there the whole month. If your assessment period had been until 31st I was going to warn that your payment won't reflect the change of rent. 

With ESA, yes just give them a call once they're open. 

Best of luck with the move! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope  ahh I see that won’t be a problem at all. I’m hoping it’s simple updating UC and ESA as I know just how hard they make it sometimes. 
    Thank you for your help ☺️
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    I forgot to add @Butterfliess, if your new home is privately rented you'll be asked to provide evidence of your rent and tenancy. If it's with a council or housing association they will verify the rent details with them. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    it is indeed privately rented, we have our tenancy agreement as proof would that be what is needed?
    Obviously we don’t have any utilities set up under that address as we do not move until the 1st will this be a problem?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Yes just the tenancy agreement is usually enough @Butterfliess. Best of luck with the move! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    Thank you so much, you have been a star ⭐️ 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.