Local coffee mornings....... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Local coffee mornings.......

Options
gaz1960
gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
Anyone else tried going to coffee mornings in  their local towns and villages, or warm hubs, or activities  and job clubs, good or bad or mediocre experiences? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,727 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't but I might if they had one in our village, @gaz1960 have you yet?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• gaz1960
    Options
    I've been trying past few weeks, different things, different places, book clubs,book  reading clubs,board games clubs,coffee mornings, warm hubs. 
    Unfortunately, not much in our village community happening, so have been trying other villages around here. Some of the fire stations and town halls,and libraries doing warm hubs,libraries doing reading groups, and board games groups. A bit of a mixed bag so far,as I'm still trying to settle in,as having to travel,so that's not helping, I'm not local to those certain places,although its just a few miles,(5 or 6), and everyone knows everyone else, so it's taking time to get to know anyone,and fit in! 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done for getting out and going @gaz1960, it can be hard to motivate yourself to join when there's some travel involved, but it sounds positive, and hopefully you'll make friends before long :) 

I know the libraries in my area are warm hubs, and also offer board gaming, knitting clubs, and talks and lectures. Perhaps local museums might also have something to offer? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • gaz1960
    Options
    Thanks,its been hard,i find it hard to fit in? Always that feeling of being totally invisible, alone and alonesness,even in a group, or even more so in a group setting? Surrounded but separate? I'm trying to step outside comfort zone,wow,thats scary! 
    Hey,i can knit and sew,lol, crazy time in the 70s,at school, girls did woodworking and metalwork, boys did sewing and knitting and home economics (cooking)! Lol:) Guess we were the early "woke" generation! Lol 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Useful skills those are @gaz1960 :)

My mum is a great knitter, she doesn't stop! Sewing is another kettle of fish for her though :D 

I think what you're feeling about not quite fitting in is something a lot of our members can relate to, and it might even be what others are feeling in the groups you've been to!

Stepping out your comfort zone is scary, and yet it's something that's always encouraged. I hope spending time here on the forum will help you feel less alone, and give you a confidence boost too.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • gaz1960
    Options
    Been on here 3 years,on and off,more off than on! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Glad to see you are here with us at the moment @gaz1960. Would you feel comfortable sharing if anything would help you to spend more time on here? 

Only if you want to spend more time on here, of course. Also, you only need to share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with.

I just want to ensure we support you the best way we can. Being comfortable using the forum when you want and need to is a key part of that  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • gaz1960
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Never seemed to be anyone local on here to connect with. But if there are then maybe these would be of interest. 

Monday's, indoor bowls,Atherstone community hall. Weekly. 

Tuesday's, Rummikub board games at Atherstone library. Weekly.

Wednesdays ,Reading group, Atherstone library,once a month.

Board games Atherstone library, every 4th Wednesday. 

Coleshill fire station, warm hub,Friday's  10.00am till 12.00. Free refreshments. 

Coleshill warm hub, Town hall,Tuesday's to Thursday, 10.00am till 1pm. Free refreshments. 

Book group, Glascote library, 1st Tuesday of the month. 

Scrabble group, Glascote library, 1st Friday of the month. 

Different activities, Tamworth CIC hub,Castle grounds,mon to Friday. 

Maybe other members on here could 
    Share information about what's happening where they are? 

Maybe not everyone in the different area's are aware of whats happening, and where they can meet up,and at least get out the house and chat with people, get to know more people? Learn new things,or just socially? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.