Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Daughter starting uni on LCWRA

Options
Sprog123
Sprog123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
My query is regarding my daughter. She was awarded lcwra on September 20th 2021 before starting a uni course on the 27th of September. All her universal credit application and lcwra was dealt with via her work coach. She also receives pip. After applying for an advance recently she received a call saying her benefits should not have been paid at all and she will owe all the money back. Any advice would be much appreciated. She has always provided everything they have asked for and was awarded lcwra before her studies started. They were made aware of her intentions to do a course before her lcwra was awarded and were provided with student finance information too which is below the threshold for amount she is allowed to earn

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If there's a student maintenance loan available to her it will affect the amount of UC she's entitled to, even if she decides not to take the loan. Loans for students fees are ignored. Any disabled student allowance is ignored.
    Sprog123 said:
    were provided with student finance information too which is below the threshold for amount she is allowed to earn

Student finance isn't earnings, so the earnings disregard for the work allowance doesn't apply here. Students and UC are very complicated so i'd advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you or ring the disabled students helpline and they maybe able to advise you with the deductions for UC. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/disabled-students-helpline
    Please also be aware that any overpayments for UC are recoverable, even if it was their fault.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sprog123
    Sprog123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I am really horrified by all of this. She has LCWRA and her claim and maintenance loan amounts were sent to the dwp. They are saying she is not eligible at all. Her LCWRA was in place before she began the course and she fits all of the pre Dec 2021 criteria for eligibility. She also fits all criteria now. Would the CAB be the best point of call?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sprog123 you can search for an adviser local to you using Advice Local, you can enquire with Citizens Advice, and Turn2Us also have advisers you can contact. I hope they can help! 

I wish your daughter all the best for her course in September, what's she due to study? :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any advice agency that's local to you. See link see what's available. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits
    However, depending on what deductions there are because of the maintenance loan, they may not be any entitlement to UC at all.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.