what is the process of applying for council tax deducation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what is the process of applying for council tax deducation

happyfella Community member Posts: 461 Pioneering
I have been told to apply for council tax reduction but not sure what the process is. Can anyone let me know if they have applied and what information you have to provide.


  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,465 Disability Gamechanger
    There's some info on the govts website, & a link to follow in order to apply. Put in your postcode & it will take you to your local council. You will then need to fill in your details there to see if you're eligible: https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 461 Pioneering
    I would like to know if anyone has applied for a reduction on council tax who receive full pip. I have looked at my local council website and it is confusing if i can apply or not
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,496 Disability Gamechanger
    CTR is more to do with ESA or UC.  I don't think you can claim it for PIP alone.

    My local council advisors weren't much help regarding CTR & HB recently.  Had to send several e-mails to get the info I was after and even now I don't really trust what I was told by them.

    Best thing you can do is just start the process online and when it gets to the entitlement page, if there isn't a suitable box for you to tick, then have to assume that you're not eligble.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming PIP doesn’t automatically entitle you to council tax discounts. 
    There maybe a band reduction you can claim. 
    Council tax reduction is completely different to council tax discount. More information here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/council-tax/check-if-you-can-pay-less-council-tax/
    You should also check your LAs website where there will be more details.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.