Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is KHarris86! would love to set up my own business

KHarris86 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2023 in Work and employment
Hi all, 

I'm looking for some help and direction. 

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 2yrs, but suffered for 8yrs now. 
I'm a horse person (mostly non ridden due to the pain in my hip) and would love to set up my own business of teaching others how to care/school their horses (the equine world is so toxic, nobody shares the basics of how to lunge a horse! Protected trade secrets...). 

I want to be self employed so I can structure my days according to the pain management, but I've no idea how to do this. 

I applied for PIP back in January 2022 but I am now at tribunal stage. I am working with a disability initiative. But as a mum to several children, I do feel the money pinch becoming tighter and tighter. 

I hold equine qualifications, I have 35yrs in the equine industry... but I have no experience with start up grants/loans/self assessment/tax, etc. 

Please help? 



  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 54,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KHarris86 welcome to the forum
    That sounds a good idea, I love horses but never ridden one. I'd love to tho. Hopefully someone else can give you direction on your plan. 
    One thing I will add  is to research your market, put the feelers out and see if you get people interested. Might be worth seeing a business adviser.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,147 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KHarris86 - & welcome to the community from me also. There's a lot of free advice on the Federation of Small Businesses' website, which you may find helpful:  try their free 'Knowledge Hub.'
    There's also some info on the government's website:
    If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to employ an accountant. They could do your tax returns (based on your accounts), & help you with their knowledge about any tax queries. I had accountants all the time I was self-employed, & found them very helpful indeed. Search here for a chartered accountant:  tho you can't go past word of mouth.....perhaps you could also ask on a locally-based facebook site?
    May I also wish you every success. :)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.