Non dependents — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non dependents

kawa112 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi i currently get esa and adp highest rate in both adp i rent from local council if my father moves in with me am i right in thinking that they cannot take non dependant deductions from me


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, your housing benefit will not have any non dependant deductions. However, if your ESA is Income Related and it includes the Severe disability premium then you will lose this, unless your father either claims a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP/ADP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or AA or he's registered blind.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kawa112
    kawa112 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks very much for your help ive told the council 3 times they cannot make the deduction and they are ignoring me and have informed me that they are making deductions again thanks for your quick help
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds frustrating that they are ignoring you @kawa112 :( Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.