Backpay

Options
matthewkevin84
matthewkevin84 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
I began receiving Universal Credit payments from 3rd June 2022 after starting my application on 28th April 2022.

My question is there a time limit to potentially claim back pay, please advise?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,295 Championing
    Options
    Back pay for what exactly? 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,980 Championing
    Options
    Are you referring to back pay for Universal Credit from before you began receiving this benefit/submitted your application @matthewkevin84? This is what I am hearing but want to make sure we hear you as clearly as we can  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • matthewkevin84
    matthewkevin84 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Options
    Yes I am referring to potential back pay for Universal Credit.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,295 Championing
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Yes I am referring to potential back pay for Universal Credit.

Yes but backpay for what exactly? You'll need to give more information for anyone to be able to help you further.

When you first claim UC there's a 1 month and 6 days wait before you receive your first payment, this is normal because UC is always paid 1 month in arrears.

If you're asking about backdating your claim to a date before you submitted your claim then it can only be backdated for a maximum of 1 month in extreme circumstances.