ESA review form received — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA review form received

Options
itwilbok
itwilbok Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Oh my, I'm going in a bit of a tails spin,  not done one of these forms for quite a while, last time it went to the review panel which overturned the original decision that I should be in the work re lated activity group and put me into the support group. So now 10yrs yes 10yrs since my last contact, I'm thinking I must be filling these forms in wrong and I'm not sure what to do. I suffer from OCD and depression, so first part of the form physical function doesn't mean me and I just fill the second part.

My mind keeps saying this is hopeless your just going to end up going to go through it all again and last time had a terrible effect on my mental health.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It was my understanding that reviews for ESA were still suspended so this means they’re not. 

However, as it’s been 10 years since you were last contacted then you were due a review at anytime.

It would be part 2 of the form that you will need to concentrate on. Make sure you give a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each activity that applies to you, use extra sheets of paper because there’s never enough of space on the form. Make sure you put your name and NI number in everything you send. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • itwilbok
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply and link to the guide. Yes, I have been expecting a review form for year's,so not a complete surprise but I was hoping they'd lost me, no such luck. 
    My husband normally helps me with things but he's struggling himself at the moment and I'm trying to do this without bothering him to much and also trying not to go down the rabbit hole of OCD. But I'm already spiraling a bit it's so distressing putting things into writing 
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    itwilbok said:
    Thank you so much for your reply and link to the guide. Yes, I have been expecting a review form for year's,so not a complete surprise but I was hoping they'd lost me, no such luck. 
    My husband normally helps me with things but he's struggling himself at the moment and I'm trying to do this without bothering him to much and also trying not to go down the rabbit hole of OCD. But I'm already spiraling a bit it's so distressing putting things into writing 
    I have just received my UC50 too so know how you feel . I haven’t had to fill one in for 4 years and was also hoping I’d somehow been lost - no such luck lol. 
    I also read that ESA reviews were suspended until at least next year too. 

Hope it goes ok for you , i know how stressful these reviews are . 
  • itwilbok
    Options
    Thank you paries 1, I'm just starting to do rough notes at the moment, but it's so difficult to put into words what your brain puts you through.  I wish you luck with your review too.
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    itwilbok said:
    Thank you paries 1, I'm just starting to do rough notes at the moment, but it's so difficult to put into words what your brain puts you through.  I wish you luck with your review too.
    Thank you 🙏 

do you fill in part 1 or only part 2? 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @itwilbok I'm so sorry the process is bringing up all those feelings for you! Scope have their own Helpline and Poppy has shared some great advice and the guide from Citizen's Advice.

I also wanted to let you know about our Coffee Lounge. It's where we play games, get to know each other and I hope it can be a place for you to keep your mind off things. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Reviews for ESA are still suspended for those not due a review during COVID, so you must have been due a review during that time and unfortunately never received the form, the fact you've been waiting 10 years suggests that may well be the case(10 years in an extremely long time for a review 99% of people have one between 6 m and 8 years and that's probably why you are having one now). My dad has confirmed they are the only reviews taking place. The esa review page on Facebook is practically dead because barely anyone is having them. People who have only been waiting a few years have nothing to worry about.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I must admit, i think 10 years is the longest i've ever known anyone go without a review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Grissom123
    Grissom123 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    Reviews for ESA are still suspended for those not due a review during COVID, so you must have been due a review during that time and unfortunately never received the form, the fact you've been waiting 10 years suggests that may well be the case(10 years in an extremely long time for a review 99% of people have one between 6 m and 8 years and that's probably why you are having one now). My dad has confirmed they are the only reviews taking place. The esa review page on Facebook is practically dead because barely anyone is having them. People who have only been waiting a few years have nothing to worry about.
    Sorry, does this mean for me they are still suspended? I said the other day my last review was in 2020. I called JobCentre after not receiving Esa50 in 2021 and was told it was extended. When I still didn't receive last year I called again and was told it was extended 'til 2025. 
    Are they still suspended for me? The information is going in but just isn't registering, I have difficulties with concentration sometimes.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    Sorry, does this mean for me they are still suspended? I said the other day my last review was in 2020. I called JobCentre after not receiving Esa50 in 2021 and was told it was extended. When I still didn't receive last year I called again and was told it was extended 'til 2025. 
    Are they still suspended for me? The information is going in but just isn't registering, I have difficulties with concentration sometimes.

Yes they are suspended.
  • Grissom123
    Options
    JBS2022 said:

Yes they are suspended.
    Ok thanks
  • Grissom123
    Options
    JBS2022 said:

Yes they are suspended.
    Ok thanks
  • JBS2022
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I have just spoken to my dad about this and he claims it's because they haven't been reviewed in 10 years that they have now been sent the ESA50 form. Nobody is supposed to go that long without review the maximum is usually around 7 years. So yep I can confirm reviews have not restarted for ESA except in circumstances I've already mentioned and if you've been waiting more than 7 years which is a minority of people, unless you are exempt due to a severe condition. Bear in mind though even if you were last reviewed more than 7 yes ago doesn't mean you will get a review, just more likely to happen.
  • itwilbok
    Options
    Paries 1, I wasn't sure about that myself, but Poppy 123456 says to concentrate on part 2, that's for me who is suffering for ocd and depression.

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones then to get chosen to have a review although I know I have been extremely lucky for this to be my first on in 10yrs,don't know why that is. I just thought it was because it went to a face to face review panel. I went through a terrible time last time I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again. 
  • JBS2022
    Options
    itwilbok said:
    Paries 1, I wasn't sure about that myself, but Poppy 123456 says to concentrate on part 2, that's for me who is suffering for ocd and depression.

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones then to get chosen to have a review although I know I have been extremely lucky for this to be my first on in 10yrs,don't know why that is. I just thought it was because it went to a face to face review panel. I went through a terrible time last time I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again. 
    You are extremely lucky to have lasted 10 years, most people have them every 2-4 years especially before covid, some even sooner than that. My husband has then every 7 years(well the last 2 anyway). 

Good luck at your review 🙂
  • poppy123456
    Options
    itwilbok said:

Part one is about physical conditions, OCD and depression aren't physical. I don't know if you know or whether you have accesss to a printer but the ESA50 form is available online here. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/975770/esa50-capability-for-work-questionnaire.pdf
    You can fill it in online but will need to download and print it off. When i fill out the WCA form i find it much easier to do it this way.

As there's never enough of room on the form to put all the information then use extra sheets of paper. Make sure you clearly put which question it refers to. Also remember to put your name and NI number on everything you send.

• kami84
    kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    Unbelievable! So the reviews are not 'suspended' at all. I will have to call ESA tomorrow and ask if my review is in August since the information on the forum is quite misleading. 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2023
    Options
    kami84 said:
    Unbelievable! So the reviews are not 'suspended' at all. I will have to call ESA tomorrow and ask if my review is in August since the information on the forum is quite misleading. 

Yes they are, if you read the advice from JBS2022, which you can see here. I don't see anything misleading here at all.
    JBS2022 said:

Then here.
    JBS2022 said:
    I have just spoken to my dad about this and he claims it's because they haven't been reviewed in 10 years that they have now been sent the ESA50 form. Nobody is supposed to go that long without review the maximum is usually around 7 years. So yep I can confirm reviews have not restarted for ESA except in circumstances I've already mentioned and if you've been waiting more than 7 years which is a minority of people, unless you are exempt due to a severe condition. Bear in mind though even if you were last reviewed more than 7 yes ago doesn't mean you will get a review, just more likely to happen.

I'd advise you not to ring them because it's not going to help you. Timescales are just a guide and nothing more. They are call centre staff who will read from a screen.. not very reliable in the slightest.
  • kami84
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • kami84
    Options
    Poppie, what would be the disadvantages of calling them? Do you think that if they tell me 'the review is happening, wait for the form, it will come in post' do you think that it will not come? I'm on my own without support and actual evidence of my mental health. Previous years I had psych hospital stays and plenty evidence. But now I don't and I am on contribution based since 2018. Im not sure if I even had any review since then  Social worker advised me to call now. In case review is happening I will know earlier and if I call them late it can lead to mess. Why Poppie you wouldn't recommend calling? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.