Online degree course help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online degree course help

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 499 Pioneering
My daughter decided to give up university so she could help look after me. I have now convinced her to do her final year, but she will only do it if she can do it online.

We have spent the past week trying to find out information on the first stage of what we need to know and we are banging our heads against a brick wall.

My daughter was doing a university degree in graphic design. SHe has her credits for two years of the course and just wants to do a final year to get her degree.

We have spoken to the local student union and they have not been able to help. I have contact the open university and they have said they do not do graphic design courses.

Can anyone please help me and let me know if any university do an online course in graphic design. And if they don't, can she use the two years of credits from her degree on something else.

Comments

• happyfella
    Options
    stormy said:
    Could she do an Open OU degree and use her points on that?

They dont do graphic design courses they said. SHe wants to finish her degree in graphic design, but cannot find anywhere that does an online course
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @happyfella Was she at the nearest university to you? If not, could she transfer to the closest one with a graphic design course? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Robbot
    Robbot Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Have a look here : https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/

Most brick uni's offer distance learning degrees, especially since Covid.  I'm embedded in the uni system, so If I can help let me know :)
  • happyfella
    Options
    @happyfella Was she at the nearest university to you? If not, could she transfer to the closest one with a graphic design course? 

They no longer do the course. One of the problems was, when she was there it was awful. Tutors were leaving all the time and then tutors were not turning up. In the first year due to all the problems 30% left the course, by the second year there were only 6 people left. There was talk about people claiming back the money they paid out but not sure if anyone did. We did make a complaint to the university and went to see them and they denied everything and said every university goes through this. All she wants to do now is to get her degree by finishing the course but wants to do it online so she can carry on working part time
  • happyfella
    Options
    Robbot said:

Most brick uni's offer distance learning degrees, especially since Covid.  I'm embedded in the uni system, so If I can help let me know :)

That would be great. She was doing a graphic design course. She is desperate to finish it so she can get a better job. She went to a new University, not going to mention the name and it was a disaster. By the end of the second year there were only a few people left. That was because during the two years tutots were leaving all the time, tutors and replacement tutors were not turning up. She just wants to try and find somewhere where she can do distance learning to finish her graphic design course degree so she can get a better job
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's such a shame @happyfella I'm sorry the were so uncooperative too! I do hope the courses other members have shared are helpful to her. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Robbot
    Robbot Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Robbot said:

That would be great. She was doing a graphic design course. She is desperate to finish it so she can get a better job. She went to a new University, not going to mention the name and it was a disaster. By the end of the second year there were only a few people left. That was because during the two years tutots were leaving all the time, tutors and replacement tutors were not turning up. She just wants to try and find somewhere where she can do distance learning to finish her graphic design course degree so she can get a better job

All the following offer Graphic Design in distance learning format.

Arden University (This is the Open University’s main competitor, an excellent uni)

Arts University Plymouth

Open College of the Arts

and finally

DN Colleges Group

As she has completed two years, she would get a credit transfer. Graphics is a very hand on course, so distance learning is a bit hit and miss. However, still approach other brick uni’s as many can arrange distance learning, but do not advertise it 😉

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.