Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

New LCWRA

Options
GettingThere
GettingThere Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello,

I appreciate this is probably asked a fair bit, but I don't find my local UC team approachable - I always find they're rushing and made to feel like a nuisance.

I applied for UC on March 17 and had my initial commitments meeting on March 24. At the meeting, my UC Coach suggested getting a Fit Note. I submitted one that same day and I have been since.

On April 27 without prompting I was sent a WCA form. I sent it back promptly and had a telephone assessment on July 10. I had a message on UC Journal on July 14 that a decision had been made to award LCWRA. In my UC Journal my "commitments" were also removed. I have received my next/current payment statement and I'm not seeing any mention of any additional payment?

Here are my dates, if it helps in relation to the application date, assessment date and decision dates above:

17 March to 16 April
17 April to 16 May
17 May to 16 June
17 June to 16 July

Could someone help me - when am I likely to see the additional payment, please?

Also, my UC Coach actively encouraged me to follow through with the assessment as it would allow me to receive additional support - but it now seems like the additional support is just money? I'm currently on a waitlist for CBT and I was hoping this might help or provide an alternative avenue. 

Also, do I need to keep obtaining Fit Notes?

Please and thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you declare your health condition as part of your UC application on 17th March or only on 24th March.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • GettingThere
    Options
    As part of my application - both physical and mental ailments. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,423 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your waiting period will be March to June, LCWRA starts from assessment period 17th June to 16th July and first payment will be 23rd July. It maybe too late to include the extra element in your statement this month if the decision has only just been made. If it isn’t they will owe you 1 months LCWRA element.

When found to have LCWRA you don’t usually have a work coach but if you want one then you can ask. There’s not usually any additional support.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GettingThere
    Options
    I appreciate the clarification. I already received the statement for this payment this morning, but it's not showing. 

As much as the additional money is always appreciated, I feel a little disheartened now. Local UC team are mostly always rushing around and cannot help ad-hoc, but my actual Coach was incredibly nice and although we knew from the off she wouldn't be needing me to look for work etc., she was great to speak to and kept me motivated.

If I had known all you get is money I don't think I would have bothered with the assessment - it was evasive and having to give examples of self-harm and past experiences was quite overwhelming. I just wanted some help.

• poppy123456
    Options
    It may take a few weeks to pay the money they owe. 

As I advised you can ask for a work coach if you want. I just don’t know what additional support they can give. 

You do not need to send any further fit notes, it does advise you that on the decision letter. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As an extra thought, are you able to use some of the extra money you’ll be receiving for some therapy? 
  • GettingThere
    Options
    Just an update - I received a reply in my Journal:

the LCWRA payment is made after the 3 month Relevant Period. This is 3 full Assessment Periods from the LCWRA award date. Your award is from 24 March 2023 so the payment will be made for the Assessment Period 17 July 2023 to 16 August 2023.

It would appear they're using my commitments meeting as the "award date" - even though I stated both physical/mental ailments as part of the application? Or is it because a Fit Note was only accepted on that date too?

If so, it seems a little unfair - I applied for UC on March 17 and March 24 was the first meeting available. It seems like the assessment period/ordinary payments start from the date you apply, and anything extra that they need to consider at the first meeting or anything you need to get clarification/advice for starts the "relevant period" from the next month ("assessment period") - as the meeting will always be after the assessment period that has already started?
  • GettingThere
    Options
    As an extra thought, are you able to use some of the extra money you’ll be receiving for some therapy? 
    I already contacted some that I found on FindATherapist and Counselling-Directory before I applied for UC whilst I was living off savings. All three locally that provide in-person therapy stated they weren't taking on private clients - it looks like the local NHS MHT are referring to them already.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    If you told the health condition in your UC application on 17th March you can self certifying for 7 days and provided the Fit Note on 24th March that means that the LCWRA should start from 17th March. 

You should request a Mandatory Reconsideration pointing out the above.

(As an aside, when you applied for UC and declared your health issue you should have been advised on your UC journal that needed to provide a Fit Note no longer than a week later.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • GettingThere
    Options
    Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I'd update this one -

In the end, I had to raise a "Mandatory Reconsideration" - this took a fortnight just to request as, despite using the words "Mandatory Reconsideration", they refused to do so on several occasions. Until, regrettably, I had to get incredibly blunt in my comment on the Journal as per the advisor at CAB - basically asking if they were refusing to allow me to do so was it actually raised.

I had the decision back this morning and they've agreed that the award should be from the application date (17th), not the initial meeting date (24th) - which means my LCWRA award date has gone from 24th to 17th and therefore SHOULD have been paid in the last month's payment. I'm presuming this adjustment will happen automatically now and will be paid as backdated.

I hope I don't have to contact them again and argue for this too!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope not @GettingThere I'm sorry it was such a battle with them for you! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Glad you got the right decision in the end but it's no exuse on their part to continue to get this waiting period wrong. UC has been out for 10 years now and they should know their own rules.

They will need to recalculate your last statement before they can pay what is owed. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much is owed and it will then be paid into your bank .
  • GettingThere
    Options
    I'm not sure how I can quote you both, so I hope you both see this! I appreciate your replies.

I'm glad it has been resolved too, it's an absolute shame you are made to jump through hoops to get the basic support they offer. It would appear once you get passed "front line", the stuff behind the scenes appears to happen quite quickly. 

I have good days and bad days on the MH front, left to it, I wouldn't have bothered chasing anything - I'm glad communities like this exist and together with Citizens Advice, so you can be armed with the correct info and know your entitlements etc.

I had a UCD477 come through around 2pm stating they had changed their original decision on the award date, and not long after posting on here, I had a UCD172 come through stating the back payment/owed amount had been processed and to expect it by August 9th. But I've checked my Monzo and it's already showing and claimable from 4pm tomorrow.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Glad to hear the money owed has also been paid. Thanks for the updates.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.