In urgent need of new wheelchair ♿️ — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In urgent need of new wheelchair ♿️

Denzel01
Denzel01 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hello, 
I hope that nobody minds me posting this!
I have spina bifida, Achalasia stage 3, heart problems & a couple of other medical issues. 
I am in dire need of a new wheelchair ♿️. I need a reclining chair due to my spine and stomach diseases. 
I have tried the NHS but as I am able to work a few steps they have dismissed me. I cannot walk outside of the house, I cannot stand up straight and the wheelchair that I currently own is a transit chair which is in an upright position. I have also owned the chair for about 8 years now and the leg rests keep falling off 🤦
I have looked at the different charities who help certain people with issues like I'm currently experiencing but unfortunately I do not fit their grant criteria. 
I really am in a desperate situation as I no longer leave the house (unless I have a GP or hospital appointment).
It is really starting to affect my mental health, I already struggle with anxiety. 
I have had 8 spinal surgeries and my whole spine/neck is fused (also had ribs & vertebrae removed).
Is there anyone on here who can give me any advice?
I have also been looking for second hand wheelchairs. 
Like everyone else, the cost of living has had a big impact on our finances (I receive D.L.A & my husband is on a state pension, he is also my full time carer and does absolutely everything around the house, cooking, cleaning etc)
We have a motability vehicle so I can't ask DLA for support. 
This really isn't a self-pity post, I am just reaching out to the Scope community for any advice/information or suggestions. 
Thank you very much for reading this. 
Best wishes to everyone ✨️
Tagged:

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.