Housing benefit review — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit review

Options
Thedogmother
Thedogmother Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hello, 
I'm writing this on behalf of my friend as she can't use a computer, last week she had a housing benefit review, oh BTW she lives in Northern Ireland, Anyway, she was asked for one weeks bank statement from a certain date specifically,  which she posted to them  and has now recieved back, also had to answer five or six questions regarding current circumstances, none of which have changed in years,still lives alone etc, now what she needs to know is, if there was any problem would she be told already,?or would it take longer to be informed that her housing benefit has changed? Her savings total £5,653. And she knows you can have max of £6,000 while on Ir esa.
She suffers from a number of extreme MH problems and this is preying on her mind.Any advice I'll gladly pass on. The assessment was on 11th September via phone, got the bank statement returned on 14th September. Just said Thank you for forwarding bank statement, I now enclose it. Thanks for reading

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Unfortunately, no one knows why they have asked for further questions to be answered. It could be standard practice for the local authority or some information may be missing. Either way, be honest and nothing will happen (everyone who receives Housing Benefit does have a review from time to time and it can unfortunately come when you don’t expect it to, just like standard benefits). Also, income-related ESA has a threshold of £6,000 with no deductions, £16,000 is the amount your claim will close and anything below this will have a savings deduction. Housing Benefit works slightly differently and each council has their rules.

Note to add, I know this is about your friend so ‘you’ means ‘them’.
  • Thedogmother
    Options
    @bg844 No further questions, just wanted the one week bank statement which they got and returned to her. She just wanted to know if they'd let her know of outcome of review good or bad really. Thanks to you for replying.
  • Thedogmother
    Options
    @bg844 The questions she answered were during the HB phonecall. No further questions after that. Thanks. 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They might let her know just for clarity and they might not. I advise her to phone and ask next week to see if her case has now been ‘cleared’.
  • Thedogmother
    Options
    @bg844 She phoned this morning and again this afternoon. There was a recorded message saying 'No one is available today' . Will see what Monday brings. Thanks again.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow @Thedogmother! Please feel free to let us know how this goes  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Thedogmother
    Options
    @L_Volunteer Hello, my friend got to speak to someone eventually , infact they called her back as they didn't answer first time, and the gentleman said,all was fine,no difference and she won't see any changes in her HB.Great relief for now. 
    Thank you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.