Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is MichelleJ1966! Pip assessor refused to speak to me as I'm abroad. Advice needed.

Options
MichelleJ1966
MichelleJ1966 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im so upset and anxious today. Had my pip assessment by phone today but the lady refused to speak to me as I was in Spain caring for my husband. They know my situation and my struggle with mental health but refused to help me. The pip department said I was able to apply as I have been in the UK for 54 years and always paid ni and tax. My husband gets uk pension and we was stuck in Spain in covid. I have a uk house and pay council tax and bills. My mental health is awful and today has really pushed me over the edge. Any suggestions please 🙏 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MichelleJ1966

Welcome to the online community :) Sorry to read you're anxious and upset today about your PIP assessment, it can be really stressful to deal with. 

Just so I can understand properly, are you currently living in Spain with your husband, or are you now back in the UK? 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,173 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MichelleJ1966 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry that this happened today. There are regulations that state so long as you haven't been abroad for 13 weeks, you are still considered as residing in the UK as far as PIP goes. However the DWP say you should inform them if you're away for 4 weeks; I don't know if you did inform them, or your stay has been prolonged due to your husband's ill health.
    All is not lost if your stay in Spain hasn't exceeded 13 weeks, as I say. I suggest ringing the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 in the first instance rather than the health assessors. Unfortunately when you do ring you're just put through to call handlers, who may be unable to help. When you ring say that you need to speak to a case manager, or get them to ring you back, if you feel that those answering the enquiry line are unable to help.
    Hopefully when you speak to a case manager you'll be able to get this sorted. If not say that you'd like them to check the following, which is advice for decision makers, about 'absence from Great Britain,' i.e. ADM Chapter C2 section 2056-2058: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1186065/admc2.pdf
    in particular to check the Social Security Regulations (Personal Independence Payment) 2013 regulation 17 (1) which you can see here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/377/regulation/17
    Hopefully they will then ensure that you get another phone assessment.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     The pip department said I was able to apply as I have been in the UK for 54 years and always paid ni and tax.
    That's very poor advice you've had there from PIP, which doesn't surprise me because it's a call centre you're ringing and they have very little benefits advice. PIP entitlement has nothing to do with any NI or tax you've paid in previous years.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.