New style esa and sdp — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New style esa and sdp

greenpatts23 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi, I receive new style esa and I have recently been put into the support group, I wanted to know am I also entitled to sdp? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 15
    Unfortunately SDP isn’t payable when claiming New style ESA because it’s a contributions based benefit only. 

    The disability premiums are only payable when claiming Income Related benefits.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit but as it’s a means tested benefit it will depend on your circumstances. 

    Do be aware that if you’re claiming any other benefits such as Tax credits then this will end once you claim UC.

    In a previous thread, though it was quite sometime ago you also mentioned claiming Housing benefit. A claim for UC will end this after 2 weeks.

    Also the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As you're in the Support Group then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.

    Do also remember that you'll soon be invited to claim UC as part of managed migration if you're still claiming Tax credits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • greenpatts23
    greenpatts23 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Thank you for responding back 
    And explaining everything to me :) 
    and yes I received a letter saying that tax credits will be ending, I think I will wait until I have to claim uc 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.