Applied for dla just before 16th birthday — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Applied for dla just before 16th birthday

shalm2023 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
We applied for dla a few weeks before our daughters 16th birthday. She was diagnosed with an eating disorder hence why we applied. As I understand once they turn 16 they must apply for PIP. Does anyone know or have experience on how this may affect her dla claim. Thanks for any advice or information.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    Usually when there’s a DLA award in payment then you will receive a letter asking you to apply for PIP just after they reach their 16th birthday. Assuming you’re not living in Scotland. 

    If she’s now 16 I think you now need to apply for PIP. If the DLA is awarded this will continue until a decision is made on the PIP.

    Are you also aware that neither of those benefits are awarded based on a diagnosis. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.