Driving Lessons for people with Disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving Lessons for people with Disabilities

Options
UrbanPigeon
UrbanPigeon Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hello all.

I suffer from life long anxiety both social and general and a learning difficulty, i have had these problems since birth and i am very nervous around people. I also have physical disabilties and at some point soon i will have to get driving lessons so i can start to be independent. It will mainly just be for local things such as shopping if i have to do any or maybe even going to our local park. I was wondering whether anyone knows of any driving instructors who understand these problems and can help people with both mental and physical disabilities to learn to drive.

Thank you :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to do a Google search of your area to see if you can find any disability driving instructors. All areas will be different and what could be near one person, may not be near another.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • UrbanPigeon
    Options
    You will need to do a Google search of your area to see if you can find any disability driving instructors. All areas will be different and what could be near one person, may not be near another.

Thats fine ok, Thank you.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,795 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 18
    Options
    If it helps, do you have any family member or professional that you work with who understands your issues and could take you out?

Although it is often advisable, you don't necessarily need a professional driving instructor to teach you to drive.
  • Spiritum
    Spiritum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, it's a while ago since I had my driving lessons but I learnt to drive in a modified car for my disability. I contacted the Driving Instructors association (or whatever it is now) and explained what my needs were and could they recommend anyone in my area. There was only one option for me at the time but I imagine now you'll have more choice. Once you get the names you can research reviews etc. Best of luck on your motoring adventure. 
  • UrbanPigeon
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    If it helps, do you have any family member or professional that you work with who understands your issues and could take you out?

Although it is often advisable, you don't necessarily need a professional driving instructor to teach you to drive.
    Im afraid not I suffer from social anxiety so i have no friends to help and my father isnt in any fit state to give me any lessons, Im afraid im on my own with this. Sorry for my late reply and thank you for your reply :)

• UrbanPigeon
    Options
    Spiritum said:
    Hi, it's a while ago since I had my driving lessons but I learnt to drive in a modified car for my disability. I contacted the Driving Instructors association (or whatever it is now) and explained what my needs were and could they recommend anyone in my area. There was only one option for me at the time but I imagine now you'll have more choice. Once you get the names you can research reviews etc. Best of luck on your motoring adventure. 

Thank you for your info :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.