Please can someone advise what’s best for my situation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please can someone advise what’s best for my situation

Beesteph Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi, I’m hoping someone can give me some concrete advice as I visited citizens advice and they could not help. 
I am living in my own single mum with three children. I am expecting my 4th child in May. 
I currently receive high rate Pip mobility and care and receive sever  disability premium. 
I also have ESA support group. I receive child tax credits and my housing benefit and council tax are paid in full. 
I have recently got back with my ex (father of my children) we do not live together and he has had to stop working because my health is not good so he has to be here to help me. 
We are considering him moving in and also claiming carers allowance. 
I’m very nervous about this because financially I have everything sorted out to support me and it was not easy getting these benefits and I’m very worried what position this will leave me in financially. 
I am not on universal credit. So my questions are : 

1. Is it best to change to universal credit first before he moves in so u get the  transitional protection as I’m very worried I will be on less money on universal credit ?

2. Should he claim carers allowance before he moves in?

3. will I loose my transitional protection if my partner moves in but is not working and receiving carers allowance for looking after me ?

4. will I still receive full housing benefit and council tax benefit if he moves in but is not working on carers allowance? 

5. Do I loose any of my benefits or do they reduce once my partner claims carers allowance? 

6. Will my child tax credit, esa or pip reduce or stop if he is to move in not working claiming carers allowance? 

Many thanks for your time and help with this I just want to ensure I know exactly where I stand before making such a big decision. 



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.